PBC (periodic boundary condition)

Theoretical Molecular Modeling

Mar 19, 2022, 4:23:01 AM3/19/22
to cp2k
Hello dear cp2k users
Does the cp2k program calculate infrared vibration in the PBC (periodic boundary condition) phase or does it only do it in the gas phase?

best ,

Cobra

Thomas Kühne

Mar 19, 2022, 5:38:18 AM3/19/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cobra,

both options are possible. For a periodic system, simply don’t
forget to activate VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS/FULLY_PERIODIC.

Best,
Thomas

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

Theoretical Molecular Modeling

Mar 19, 2022, 10:07:49 AM3/19/22
to cp2k
Thank you very mucy for your reply. The input I used was as follows;
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT vib # #
  RUN_TYPE  VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS  # # MD ## GEO_OPT  ##
  PRINT_LEVEL LOW
&END GLOBAL
&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
  THERMOCHEMISTRY
&END VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
.
.
.
Shall I use the following input instead of the above?  Then, Wouldn't there be a need for a program like Travis?;
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT vib # #
  RUN_TYPE  VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS  # # MD ## GEO_OPT  ##
  PRINT_LEVEL LOW
&END GLOBAL
&VIBRATIONAL_ANALYSIS
  FULLY_PERIODIC T