GFN-xTB organosilicon interactions

fabbe...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2022, 12:40:40 PM6/22/22
to cp2k
Hello CP2k community,

I am running some QS simulations using XTB on a sample containing Si, O, C, and H. Following some other threads here I have managed to get the system running reasonably well. However the H closest to Si gain way to much kinetic energy after the 1st time step.

Having found this paper (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2109.10416.pdf) I am wondering if anyone else here has had a problem getting XTB to work for organosilicon systems.

Best regards

Fabian

Anna Hehn

Jun 22, 2022, 5:30:06 PM6/22/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fabian

we did not investigate organosilicon systems in particular, but we found that for periodic framework materials in general, the default parameters of GFN1-xTB may in certain cases lead to instabilities. The keyword CHECK_ATOMIC_CHARGES in the xTB section is actually checking for unphysical Mulliken charges; if the keyword is set to true, CP2K stops if the self-consistently obtained Mulliken charges are significantly different from the expected, physically reasonable value.

Best regards

Anna