Spherical Cell

Diego Gomez

Jan 5, 2021, 2:47:29 PM1/5/21
to cp2k

I'm trying to run a gas phase cluster calculation in CP2K. I want to create an outside force to force water molecules that are in the simulation within a radius of a central ion. I want to create a spherical cell of a given radius λ, fix the ion in the center and then run QMMD using the waters.

Does anyone know how to create a spherical cell or a better way to impose this clustering constraint λ?

Thomas Kühne

Jan 5, 2021, 2:54:22 PM1/5/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Diego,

you may try to use a distance restraint. The former can be specified in FORCE_EVAL/SUBSYS/COLVAR
and the latter enforced via MOTION/CONSTRAINT/COLLECTIVE/RESTRAINT.

Greetings,
TDK

Am 05.01.2021 um 20:47 schrieb Diego Gomez <diego.g...@gmail.com>:

I'm trying to run a gas phase cluster calculation in CP2K. I want to create an outside force to force water molecules that are in the simulation within a radius of a central ion. I want to create a spherical cell of a given radius λ, fix the ion in the center and then run QMMD using the waters.

Does anyone know how to create a spherical cell or a better way to impose this clustering constraint λ?

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

Diego Gomez

Jan 19, 2021, 4:38:06 PM1/19/21
to cp2k
Thomas,

I appreciate your response and after reading CP2K manual I absolutely agree with suggestion, however I am struggling with doing this operationally, do you happen to have an .inp file that you could show me or provide some guidance.

Thank you,
Diego

Marcella Iannuzzi

Jan 20, 2021, 3:29:08 AM1/20/21
to cp2k
Dear Diego

One can add an EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL acting only on a list of atoms.
Choosing the analytical form you can tune the range and the strength.
Something like
C*(1-(1-(sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/R0)**n)/(1-(sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/R0)**m))
should work.

Kind regards
Marcella