Cannot use CP2K via Docker/Singularity

ASSIDUO Network

Mar 27, 2022, 12:57:12 PM3/27/22
to cp2k
Hi there, I hope you are doing well.

I tried using CP2K via Docker following this https://hub.docker.com/r/cp2k/cp2k
but I get the following error message:
/opt/cp2k/prod_entrypoint.sh: line 20:   443 Illegal instruction     "$@"

Then when using singularity instead of docker, I get the following error message:
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/cp2k/exe/local/cp2k': Read-only file system

Can you help me resolve this? I've been trying to get CP2K working for a month now at my local HPC. I have failed, so I turned to asking help from admin, but they too cannot get it right. So now I am trying to go for a container, but I get the above error messages.

Ole Schütt

Mar 29, 2022, 6:54:23 AM3/29/22
to cp2k
Hi,

how exactly did you try to run via Docker?
Note that the docker image is pretty new and you are one of the first to use it. So any feedback is appreciated.

> Then when using singularity instead of docker, I get the following error message:

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Singularity. You could try commenting those lines in the prod_entrypoint.sh script and instead use the absolute path of the binary.
If that works, I'll move the creation of those symlinks to the build phase (or replace them with aliases).

-Ole

Lenard Carroll

Mar 29, 2022, 8:06:29 AM3/29/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
For Docker I just did:
docker pull cp2k/cp2k
docker run cp2k/cp2k cp2k --version

then I get the error. I tried it on my PCs and two HPC servers.

Since I am also new to docker and singularity, I don't know quite how to edit that information in the container already, I'll see what I can find.

ASSIDUO Network

Mar 29, 2022, 9:33:42 AM3/29/22
to cp2k
If I make that change (on singularity), I no longer get the ln error, but:
error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ole Schütt

Mar 29, 2022, 10:40:41 AM3/29/22
to cp2k
> docker pull cp2k/cp2k
> docker run cp2k/cp2k cp2k --version

Well, it works for me (tm).

> /opt/cp2k/prod_entrypoint.sh: line 20:   443 Illegal instruction     "$@"

May I ask what kind of CPU you are using? I've built the container on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X.

-Ole

Lenard Carroll

Mar 29, 2022, 11:11:27 AM3/29/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about all of them, but they are definitely intel. One is a low budget Intel G4400 and another is an Intel Xeon processor (Haswell architecture I believe).

Ole Schütt

Mar 29, 2022, 2:25:01 PM3/29/22
to cp2k
Your CPUs might indeed be a bit too old to run the current docker image.

We recently added the ability to build generic binaries, which I plan to use for the next release.

-Ole

Lenard Carroll

Mar 29, 2022, 2:30:42 PM3/29/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, I got rid of the /opt/cp2k/prod_entrypoint.sh: line 20:   443 Illegal instruction     "$@" and the ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/cp2k/exe/local/cp2k': errors now, but it tells me for both docker and singularity error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ole Schütt

Apr 1, 2022, 7:56:19 AM4/1/22
to cp2k
Hi Lenard,

I've  uploaded a new docker image, which is based on the latest developer version and uses the novel Dockerfile.prod_generic_psmp. I've also moved the symlink creation to the build phase.

Please give it a try:

  docker pull cp2k/cp2k:dev20220330
  docker run cp2k/cp2k:dev20220330 cp2k --version

-Ole