QM/MM Mulitpole Rcut

mayank...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2020, 7:35:05 AM7/16/20
to cp2k
Hi,

Are there any guidelines to set the RCUT parameter in the QM/MM Multipole section?

Is the RCUT parameter here is equivalent to the FIST EWALD RCUT? In my case I have a larger MM box of 50*40*40 angstroms^3 and a smaller centered QM box of 40*30*30 angstroms^3, so in this case, the Multipole RCUT should be set to 19 angstroms (<R_min/2) or it is okay to set RCUT as same as FIST EWALD RCUT (~9-12 angstroms.)?

Best Regards,
Mayank Dodia

mayank...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2020, 6:41:59 AM7/22/20
to cp2k
Hi,

Sorry for reposting, but is there someone who can elaborate on the RCUT parameter in the QM/MM Multipole section?

Best Regards,
Mayank Dodia

Thomas Kühne

Jul 23, 2020, 12:52:07 PM7/23/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mayank,

it is an Ewald cutoff, i.e. for large cells values
smaller than half the cell size is advised.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Kühne

Jul 23, 2020, 3:39:11 PM7/23/20
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
Dear Mayank,

the keyword EWALD_PRECISION in the same section already controls the real-space cutoff,
i.e. RCUT is only necessary to explicitly override the override the value and as such only useful
when you know what you are doing.

Best,
Thomas

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

mayank...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2020, 6:51:34 PM7/23/20
to cp2k
Dear Thomas,

Thanks for your response!

My reasoning for a cutoff much lower than the half box size arises from these two papers:

Yonetani, JCP, 2006:  https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2198208
Spoel, Marren, JCTC,  2006: https://doi.org/10.1021/ct0502256

where it is suggested that the larger cutoff does not implies accuracy and can create "artifacts" in bulk water simulations, particularly if the force field was not parameterized for the larger ranges. I don't have experience in simulating larger bulk water box (such as the one I mentioned before), but does this reasoning makes sense or is there alternative explanation for this? Do you have any particular recommendations in such scenarios? Not specifically for QM/MM, but for FIST calculations as well.

Best Regards,
Mayank Dodia