Semi-empirical convergence

Виктор Овсянников

May 27, 2020, 10:55:50 AM5/27/20
to cp2k
Dear CP2K users and developers,

I am trying to minimize charged fullerene cage using AM1, but it stucks and cannot converge with default SCF parameters and BFGS minimizer, and if I try to use different mixing methods, CP2K gives me segmentation fault. Input, output, and xyz files are attached.
C82-1-AM1.inp
C82-1-AM1.out
c82-2-3D.xyz

Anton S. Lytvynenko

May 27, 2020, 11:13:49 AM5/27/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Dear Victor,

It looks like your SCF is very far from convergence, please try to increase max_scf to say 300, and decrease alpha to 0.2 (if it doesn't help -- to 0.1).

You should try to find the parameters yielding your SCF converged on the first geometry optimization step (preferably) or at least on the 2nd-3rd.

It doesn't depend on the geometry optimization parameters -- if your SCF did not exhibit at least fair convergence at the first steps, you gradients, and, subsequently, the geometry, are completely irrelevant.

Hope that helps.

Yours,

Anton

27.05.20 17:55, Виктор Овсянников пише:
Dear CP2K users and developers,

I am trying to minimize charged fullerene cage using AM1, but it stucks and cannot converge with default SCF parameters and BFGS minimizer, and if I try to use different mixing methods, CP2K gives me segmentation fault. Input, output, and xyz files are attached.

Виктор Овсянников

May 28, 2020, 4:13:10 PM5/28/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your help, alpha 0.1 worked just fine