run geo-opt by gpaw

shixun sun

May 11, 2020, 3:05:57 AM5/11/20
to cp2k
Dear cp2k community,
  I was trying to run a geo-opt for a slab model of graphene(with a single water molecule on it) using GPAW method, but It seems something wrong with the output file. there isn't any force in the output file, and the SCF seems always not converge. I notice I set the "numerous outer SCF loop", 100, but it seems it's not the domain reason. I use 16 cores to run this, But after 1 hour later, there isn't any XYZ file be outputted.
G.out
kk.inp

shixun sun

May 11, 2020, 5:16:59 AM5/11/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear cp2k community,
  I thought maybe I‘ve added a 15Å vacuum of the slab to absorb the h2o molecule. and that makes it hard to converge. BUT I am not sure.  Do I need to fix my vacuum layer or something else?  Sincerely looking for your help
best wishes
sun shixun

shixun sun <suns...@gmail.com> 于2020年5月11日周一 下午3:06写道:

Fabian Ducry

May 13, 2020, 10:37:07 AM5/13/20
to cp2k
Dear Sunshixun,

I am not very familiar with GAPW calculations but here are a couple of hints:

SCF/OUTER_SCF: EPS_SCF should always be the same in the inner and outer loop:
MAX_SCF 30
EPS_SCF 1e-7
&OUTER_SCF
         EPS_SCF 1e-7
         MAX_SCF 30
&END OUTER_SCF

With GAPW the recommended PRECONDITIONER is FULL_ALL

Increase EPS_SCF for the first couple of CELL_OPT iterations. The SCF does not converge to 1e-7 for the starting geometry.

You might also want to decrease EPS_DEFAULT to 1e-12

Best,
Fabian