thermal equilibration in cp2k

Shweta

Jul 7, 2023, 3:37:47 AM7/7/23
to cp2k
Hi all,

Can anyone please help me with the thermal equilibration in cp2k. How to achieve gradual increase in temperature from 0K to 300K using Nose thermostat in cp2k?

Many thanks !!

"Thomas D. Kühne"

Jul 7, 2023, 4:25:55 AM7/7/23
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shweta,

either set the temperature to 300K using any thermostat such as Nose for instance.
The speed of increase can be indirectly controlled using the time constant. Alternatively,
you can use TEMEPERATURE_ANNEALING with a factor larger than 1 for a controlled
exponential temperature increase.

Best,
Thomas Kühne

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

shweta logon

Jul 7, 2023, 5:26:48 AM7/7/23
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply Thomas D. Kühne,

Can you please help me that where do we mention initial temperature? Do I mention &velocity as
 0 0 0 for each atom in FORCE_EVAL/&SUBSYS section for this or is there any other way to mention initial T and target T?

If using Nose Thermostat, does using larger timecon increases rate of increasing temperature with time??

Also, during equilibration, should I use REGION GLOBAL or MASSIVE in NOSE ??

Thanks a lot!

"Thomas D. Kühne"

Jul 7, 2023, 7:52:47 AM7/7/23
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Simply set TEMPERATURE in the MOTION/MD section to the desired value.
The initial velocities are set at random from the Maxwell distribution so as to
realize the desired temperature.

Best,
Thomas Kühne