Atomic Forces too Low

Lucas Bandeira

Jun 28, 2021, 1:01:06 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear cp2k community,

I am trying to analyze k-points convergence for a Au bulk, but I am facing a problem: the atomic forces are too small. They are of the order of 1E-13 Ha. Then, when I try to compute the atomic forces between two consecutive grids, they are of the order of 1E-14 Ha, much lower than the threshold I use, 4.5E-4 Ha (the default maximum atomic force used in cp2k geometry optimization). So basically it means that the results will be the same no matter the k-point mesh I choose, from a 1x1x1 to a 15x15x15 mesh. Can somebody help me to solve this problem? Attached are one of the inputs that I have used and the corresponding output.

Yours sincerely,

Lucas Bandeira
CP2K.out
CP2K.in

Fabian Ducry

Jun 28, 2021, 1:09:30 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lucas

The forces are zero because of symmetry (the 1E-13 Ha is noise). You should check the pressure (stress tensor) instead. Alternatively, you can perform a volume optimization and check the convergence of the lattice parameter wrt. k-point grid.

Cheers Fabian

Lucas Bandeira

Jun 28, 2021, 1:46:13 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply, Fabian.

But I have performed the same kind of calculations for a Cu bulk, and the forces printed are much larger. I am attaching the input and output files. In addition, I am analyzing cutoff and relative cutoff convergence for a CO molecule. With the GPW, the printed forces were too low, but with the GAPW the forces are much higher. Could you help me with that?

CP2K.out
CP2K.in
CO_GPW.out
CO_GPW.inp
CO_GAPW.out
CO_GAPW.inp

Lucas Bandeira

Jun 28, 2021, 1:50:55 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I have sent the email by accident without finishing it.

Attached (in the previous email) are the input and corresponding output files that I have used for the calculations with GAPW and GPW.

Yours faithfully,

Lucas Bandeira