geometry optimization completed

Tahere Kheshti

Jun 28, 2021, 11:39:39 AM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone
I am attaching the input and output files. As you see none of the criteria for optimized geometry has been reached. Do I need to increase the number of optimization steps? how many is enough? (my structure has 114 atoms)
Are the number of inner and outer SCF steps appropriate?

Can you please tell me your suggestions?
Thanks

In2Cl10C20H12Br4N4F8pbc.inp
In2Cl10C20H12Br4N4F8pbc.out

Thomas Kühne

Jun 28, 2021, 2:50:52 PM6/28/21
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
Dear Tahere,

your geometry optimization is far from being converged. Instead of limiting the number
of optimization steps to 30, better simply rely on the convergence criteria.
SCF convergence, however, is much better when OT switches into the SD fallback mode
is always bad news. Try to reduce the OT stepsize …

Best,
Thomas

<In2Cl10C20H12Br4N4F8pbc.inp><In2Cl10C20H12Br4N4F8pbc.out>

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

fabia...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2021, 3:26:50 PM6/28/21
to cp2k
Hi

Your initial guess seems to be pretty bad: The structure at step 0 has a pressure of 5'546'592 bar and the first BFGS iteration reduces the energy by more than 50 Hartree, which is enormous. The volume of your cell increases by a factor of 2 over the 30 BFGS iterations. Maybe you could try to improve the initial configuration. This would certainly help the convergence of the SCF and BFGS.

Cheers Fabian

Tahere Kheshti

Jun 28, 2021, 3:35:45 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Thomas

Thanks for your helping! I am a new user and I do not know some points.

Do you mean to use the default value for the number of optimization steps?
Yes, unfortunately in the convergence of SCF, DIIS switched to SD, you suggested that I reduce the size. What value is good?

Tahere Kheshti

Jun 28, 2021, 3:39:45 PM6/28/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fabian

I am interested in studying the structural, electronic, and optical properties of periodic systems. I used to calculate the gas phase using Gaussian software. Now for the first time, I want to calculate in solid-state by cp2k. I have got some basic questions about periodic calculations. Please forgive me if I am asking very general questions, and so many....!

I want to start from the crystal X-ray structure...you can see it in the attached file!

1) Can I replace some of its atoms with arbitrary atoms? for example F atom instead of H atom... If I can, I must do calculations by cell-opt run type??? or geo-opt is also good?!

 2) As you see in the attached file, in my x-ray unit cell, there are some atoms outside of the box.  Should such atoms be deleted before converting the CIF file to XYZ format? or not?

3) Can this structure be investigated in 2D?

4) If I want to investigate the electronic and optical properties of this structure, can I use the single unit cell or should it be in the form of a supercell? Are the properties of the unit cell and supercell different?

5) There is an important physical concept in the solid-state called k point! Is it necessary to enter its keyword ?! or it is set by default...I don't know?  Do you think I should enter it in the input file? whether unit-cell or supercell!

I am very sincerely eager to get an answer? please.

Thanks a lot for helping
jp0c07268_si_002-2.cif