Problem converge Cu bulk calculations using kpoints

Lucas Bandeira

May 14, 2021, 6:02:21 PM5/14/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear cp2k community,

I am performing some calculations for Cu bulk using kpoints. However, any of the calculations that I have performed converged. It seems rather that the results diverge. In addition, the cell vectors printed at the beginning of every optimization step diverge from the experimental value that is 3.64Angs. Before the optimization, I have performed convergence tests for kpoints, and based on these, I chose the kpoint grid 8x8x8. I also tested different optimizers: LBFGS, BFGS, and conjugate gradient, but for all them I have the same problem. Could somebody help me with this?

Attached are the input file used for the calculations with BFGS, and the output file obtained.

Yours sincerely,

Lucas Bandeira
Cu111_450Ry_SCF_8x8x8.inp
Cu111_450Ry_SCF_8x8x8.out

Nicholas Winner

May 14, 2021, 10:02:00 PM5/14/21
to cp2k
Try removing the lines

EXTRAPOLATION USE_GUESS
EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER 1

Use guess will generally not be a good choice. The defaults should work well. Also consider trying the DZVP basis set first, which should be easier to converge, and moving to TZV2P only if necessary.

-Nick

Lucas Lodeiro

May 14, 2021, 10:27:41 PM5/14/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

Nicholas' advice is very important. Your output shows an oscillating behavior, and one reason could be the extrapolation. Also, there could be more reasons.
One is related with the metallic character of Cu, a smearing of 300K could be so low, I would try with 2000K.
Another reason could be the REAL option on the kpoints wavefunctions... I would use the COMPLEX option.
If these advices do not work, you could explore the settings on the BFGS optimizer... for example decreasing the TRUST_RADIUS.

Regards - Lucas Lodeiro

Lucas Bandeira

May 15, 2021, 4:01:28 PM5/15/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Nicholas and Lucas. It worked now!

It worked when I only swapped the WAVEFUNCTION flag from REAL to COMPLEX. But the calculations were faster when I changed both the EXTRAPOLATION and EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER flags to the default value in cp2k, too.

Thank you both very much.