non-zero Hirschfeld total charge

Katarina S.

Oct 16, 2020, 4:47:37 AM10/16/20
to cp2k
Dear CP2K community,
I was running cell optimization of a MOF system (ZIF-8). To my surprise at the end of optimization, I got total Hirshfeld charge around 1.5 while Mulliken is 0. The structure with which I am working should be neutral, thus Mulliken seems OK. Is there any explanation while Hirschfeld is not 0?

Attached are my input files as well as the output.

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Katarina
ZIF-8_cell_opt.zip
cell_opt_ZIF-8.inp

Krack Matthias (PSI)

Oct 16, 2020, 5:59:34 AM10/16/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Katarina

The accuracy of the electron count in your calculation is quite poor (only 2E-5) which is most likely caused by the too large EPS_DEFAULT value of only 1.0E-7. This affects the population analyses afterwards. Try a tighter EPS_DEFAULT value like 1.0E-12 and check if the “Total charge density on r-space grids:” at the end of your SCF is at least accurate to 1.0E-7 or less.

HTH

Matthias

Katarina S.

Oct 19, 2020, 2:42:19 AM10/19/20
to cp2k
Dear Matthias,
thank you for the advice, it solved the problem!

Kind regards,
Katarina

Dátum: piatok 16. októbra 2020, čas: 11:59:34 UTC+2, odosielateľ: Matthias Krack