Restarting path integral MD simulation (PIGLET)

Unmesh Mondal

Jun 7, 2019, 12:38:04 AM6/7/19
to cp2k
Hello everyone,

I am running a path integral MD simulation using GLE thermostat (PIGLET) with RPMD real time propagator. Every time I restart the calculation, I get sudden jumps in the the different quantities (Temp, potential energy,virial kinetic energy and conserved quantity).

I have incorporated the following tags for restart:
SCF_GUESS RESTART
and
&EXT_RESTART
  EXTERNAL_FILE ./TPA-1.restart
&END EXT_RESTART

and "WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME" is commented out to use the default as in path integral simulation generates "2n" (n=number of replicas) number of different restart wavefunction files.

Can someone help me out with this issue? Attaching the input file(pimd_glet.in), the file(test-energy-1.dat) for the above mentioned quantities along with a figure for the same.

Thanks
Unmesh Mondal
IISER Pune, India

Figure_1.png
pimd_glet.in
test-energy-1.dat

Thomas Kühne

Jun 7, 2019, 7:59:26 AM6/7/19
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Unmesh,

you may simply try tightening the convergence values, e.g.
EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12
EPS_SCF 1.0E-7

Best,
Thomas

<Figure_1.png><pimd_glet.in><test-energy-1.dat>

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

Unmesh Mondal

Jun 7, 2019, 8:47:02 AM6/7/19
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. But,
EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12
EPS_SCF 1.0E-7
needs to be tightened to reduce drift in constant of motion which I will certainly incorporate . Additionally, what bothers me is the sudden jump at the
restart point which dies off in 20-30 steps. I am attaching the zoomed in figure highlighting the area of concern. I don't experience the same with classical nuclei AIMD.

Please do correct me if I have misunderstood the suggestion or any concept.

Regards,
Unmesh
send_page-0001.jpg

Christoph Schran

Dec 16, 2019, 4:40:55 AM12/16/19
to cp2k
Dear Unmesh,

which version of CP2K are you using? There has been a bug fix relatively recently (https://github.com/cp2k/cp2k/pull/359) for the computation of the conserved quantity and the primitive estimator in PINT runs. This fix will be in the upcoming new release v7.1.

How exactly are you restarting your runs? In the plots you attached, it looks like the thermostat would be reinitialized.

Best, Christoph

Unmesh Mondal

Dec 20, 2019, 12:00:01 AM12/20/19
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Thank You for your reply Christoph and apology for the late response.

>which version of CP2K are you using? There has been a bug fix relatively recently (https://github.com/cp2k/cp2k/pull/359) for the computation of the >conserved quantity and the primitive estimator in PINT runs. This fix will be in the upcoming new release v7.1.

I am using Cp2k 7.0 development version.  Yes, I will give the new version a try and check if the problem is solved.

>How exactly are you restarting your runs? In the plots you attached, it looks like the thermostat would be reinitialized.

Yes, I also assume the reinitialization of the thermostat takes few steps to equilibrate hence the sudden jumps (in the plots). I do not observe any sudden jumps when the simulation is run continuously without any restart. Regarding the restart, I have the wavefunction restart to use the default and an external restart file which the code prints at every step. Appending relevant part of  my initial mail:

>I have incorporated the following tags for restart:
>SCF_GUESS RESTART
>and
>&EXT_RESTART
>  EXTERNAL_FILE ./TPA-1.restart
>&END EXT_RESTART

>and "WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME" is commented out to use the default as  path integral simulation generates "2n" (n=number of replicas) number >of different restart wavefunction files.

Please let me know if you any extra information is needed.

Thanks
Unmesh