High cutoff for Force Converage

Hedley Dong

Feb 15, 2021, 9:43:26 PM2/15/21
to cp2k
Hi everyone,
I am test energy and force converage with different cutoff, and the energy converged at a reasonable cutoff (~500 Ry). However I found the Force did not converge until I increased the cutoff to 800 Ry. I am not sure such a high cutoff is reasonable, or can I imporve the force converage with other parameters? I upload the input and output, please help!
Thank you!

Hedley Dong

Feb 15, 2021, 9:44:48 PM2/15/21
to cp2k
&GLOBAL
PROJECT DPGEN
&END GLOBAL
&FORCE_EVAL
METHOD QS
STRESS_TENSOR ANALYTICAL
&DFT
BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME BASIS_MOLOPT
POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME GTH_POTENTIALS
CHARGE 0
UKS T
MULTIPLICITY 1
&MGRID
CUTOFF 350
REL_CUTOFF 50
NGRIDS 4
&END MGRID
&QS
EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12
&END QS
&SCF
SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
EPS_SCF 5.0E-6
MAX_SCF 300
&OT
PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
MINIMIZER DIIS
&END OT
&OUTER_SCF ON
MAX_SCF 4
&END OUTER_SCF
&END SCF
&XC
&XC_FUNCTIONAL PBE
&END XC_FUNCTIONAL
&vdw_POTENTIAL
DISPERSION_FUNCTIONAL PAIR_POTENTIAL
&PAIR_POTENTIAL
TYPE DFTD3
PARAMETER_FILE_NAME dftd3.dat
REFERENCE_FUNCTIONAL PBE
R_CUTOFF 15.
&END PAIR_POTENTIAL
&END vdw_POTENTIAL
&END XC
&END DFT
&SUBSYS
&CELL
A 7.552 0.    0.
B 0.    7.552 0.
C  0.     0.    18.972
&END CELL
&COORD
@include coord.xyz
&END COORD
&KIND O
BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q6
&END
&KIND Ti
POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q12
BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH
&DFT_PLUS_U
EPS_U_RAMPING 1.0E-3
U_RAMPING [eV] 1
L 2
U_MINUS_J [eV] 5
&END DFT_PLUS_U
&END
&END SUBSYS
&PRINT
&FORCES ON
&END FORCES
&STRESS_TENSOR ON
&END STRESS_TENSOR
&END PRINT
&END FORCE_EVAL

Hedley Dong

Feb 15, 2021, 9:57:11 PM2/15/21
to cp2k
1.PNG

Lucas Lodeiro

Feb 15, 2021, 11:08:05 PM2/15/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hedley,

Typically forces are more difficult to converge. Forces are more sensitive to convergence parameters, and are affected by "noise" in the derivation. Have you tried to decrease the EPS_SCF? Maybe 5E-6 is not sufficient to ensure a free noise force... 1E-7 or 1E-8 could be useful to smooth the force profile respect to cutoff. And the XC_GRID subsection could be useful.

Regards - Lucas Lodeiro

Hedley Dong

Feb 15, 2021, 11:37:58 PM2/15/21
to cp2k
Thanks for your advice, Lucas. I have tried decrease EPS_SCF to 3.0E-7, and the force did not change compared to EPS_SCF=5.0E-6 at the same cutoff. I will try a lower EPS_SCF and take a look of XC_GRID.