AIMD of ACN doesn't converge after 100 ps

Abdullah Bin Faheem

Mar 24, 2020, 9:03:19 AM3/24/20
to cp2k
Hello everyone,

I performed AIMD of 60 Acetonitrile molecules using cp2k 5.1.0. However, I noticed that "Cons Qty" keeps increasing and does not converge even after 100 ps. While on the other hand, the kinetic and potential energies reach equilibrium within 2-3 ps. Does this mean my system has not converged? Or is there something wrong with my input file?

If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for possible improvement/fixes.

I have attached the input and the energy output files, where the initial geometry for ACN was taking from classical MD.

Thank you for your time

Best Regards,
Abdullah Bin Faheem

Energies.png

files.rar

Thomas Kühne

Mar 24, 2020, 10:03:52 AM3/24/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Abdullah Bin Faheem,

there is nothing wrong. What you are observing is not due to incomplete equilibration, but
rather a consequence, of incomplete SCF convergence. Beside time-step errors, which in
your case may be non-negligible due to a discretized time-step of 1.0 fs,  the so-called
„conserved quantity“ is in a numerical calculation only conserved at perfect SCF convergence.
Hence, reducing the integration time-step and more importantly tightening the EPS_SCF
should lead to a better conservation of the conserved quantity. However, in a numerical
calculation the latter will never be perfectly conserved and it is up to you to decided what
level gives you the best efficiency / accuracy compromise.
I personally, would suggest 0.5-0.75fs for the time-step and 1e-7 - 1e-6 for EPS_SCF when
using OT. I have commented on the differences between TD and OT wrt to EPS_SCF in an
earlier posting.

Cheers,
Thomas

<files.rar><Energies.png>

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

Abdullah Bin Faheem

Mar 25, 2020, 6:19:43 AM3/25/20
to cp2k
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for suggestions. I will try them out

Regards,
Abdullah
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cp...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cp2k/71cf94c9-77b2-4561-8af7-cbf9d428f828%40googlegroups.com.