OT for Aluminum Oxide?

MD Simulation

Feb 15, 2020, 8:58:56 AM2/15/20
to cp2k
Does anyone know if the OT method could be used for aluminum oxide (Al2O3)?  It seemed a bit slow when I tried it compared to using SMEAR.

Here's my two SCF solving routines, the OT method is slow, ~9s per SCF iteration, while the SMEAR method is ~3s per SCF iteration.  Thanks for the help.

#### OT
        &SCF
            SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
            EPS_SCF 1.0E-8
            MAX_SCF 200
            &OT ON
                MINIMIZER DIIS
                PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
            &END OT
            &OUTER_SCF
                MAX_SCF 10
                EPS_SCF 1.0E-8
            &END OUTER_SCF
        &END SCF
####

#### Fast SMEAR
        &SCF
            SCF_GUESS ATOMIC
            EPS_SCF 1.0E-8
            MAX_SCF 200
            ADDED_MOS 10
            &DIAGONALIZATION ON
                ALGORITHM STANDARD
            &END DIAGONALIZATION
            &MIXING  .TRUE.
                METHOD BROYDEN_MIXING
                ALPHA 0.4
                NBROYDEN 8
            &END MIXING
            &SMEAR ON
                METHOD FERMI_DIRAC
                ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE [K] 300.0
            &END SMEAR
        &END SCF
####

Nicholas Winner

Feb 15, 2020, 2:54:36 PM2/15/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
OT should certainly be fast for a large band gap system like Al2O3. You said that the speed of the scf iterations are slower, but is the full scf convergence also slower? Things to consider are your preconditioner and your outer loops I think. Full_single_inverse will be less effective than Full_all in most situations. Generally use Full_all unless your system is very large. Maybe also try reducing your max inner SCF cycles and increasing your outer loop number. It could be that your initial state is not so good, and so resetting often using more frequent outer loops will help.

Fabian Ducry

Feb 17, 2020, 3:47:43 AM2/17/20
to cp2k
Hi,

I can confirm that OT works well with alumina. Settings that I typically use (in MD) are
        &SCF
            SCF_GUESS RESTART
            EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
            MAX_SCF 30
            &OT
                MINIMIZER DIIS
                ALGORITHM IRAC
                ENERGY_GAP 0.5
                PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
            &END OT
            &OUTER_SCF
                MAX_SCF 20
                EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
            &END OUTER_SCF
        &END SCF

IRAC is much faster than CG, but apparently not always reliable. I haven't noticed any problems so far though.
If you have more than a few dozen atoms, I recommend FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE over FULL_ALL with a relatiely large ENERGY_GAP (~0.5).

OT is not necessarily faster than diagonalization, it just scales better with number of atoms. Without knowing more about your systems it's difficult to tell what's happening.

Best,
Fabian