Is there any basis set updating during Car–Parrinello molecular dynamics?

C C

Nov 25, 2020, 6:48:51 PM11/25/20
to cp2k
Hi,

 I have a very naive question. According to
https://www.cp2k.org/basis_sets
 CP2K adopted atomic centered Gaussian.

 From what I understood, in CPMD calculation, the potential energy surface is calculated on the fly (not prior constructed). During the MD simulation, nuclei changed their positions and overlap integrals will change. Will CP2K update its basis, i.e., adjust the center of basis function? Is there any near dependence in the calculation?

Thank you very much!

C C

Nov 25, 2020, 6:50:51 PM11/25/20
to cp2k
> near dependence
linear dependence.
I am very sorry for my typo.

Thomas Kühne

Nov 26, 2020, 2:51:12 AM11/26/20
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
Dear CC?,

yes the basis functions are atom centered and hence move with the atoms causing
that the overlap integrals needs to be recomputed whenever the positions are updated
(e.g. geometry optimization, molecular dynamics, etc.). By default in CP2K ab-initio
MD simulations are conducted by means of the Born-Oppenheimer scheme (the
original CPMD method is not implemented), i.e. in every time-step a conventional
electronic structure calculation is conducted.
The de facto standard in CP2K are so-called „molecularly optimized“ basis set (aka
MOLOPT basis), whose Gaussian exponents and contraction coefficients are optimized
based on molecular systems using an objective function that is the sum of the total
energy and the logarithm of the condition number of the overlap matrix. In this way,
contrary to typical augmented basis sets, the overlap matrix is generally well conditioned,
so that there are NO near linear dependencies in the basis, even for periodic systems!

Greetings,
Thomas Kühne

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

C C

Nov 26, 2020, 5:26:26 PM11/26/20
to cp2k
Dear Professor Kühne,

  Thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate your help!

Best regards

C C

Apr 27, 2021, 12:23:50 PM4/27/21
to cp2k
Dear Professor Kühne,

  Thank you once again for your kind and prompt reply. May I know some references for the basis set positions updating in MD used CP2K? I searched the docs of CP2K, but did not find any literature about this point (overlap integrals need to recomputed,  MOLOPT, etc).

  Thank you very much

在2020年11月26日星期四 UTC-5 上午2:51:12<tkuehne> 写道: