Dipole correction vacuum abort

cpash...@gmail.com

May 17, 2021, 9:36:20 AM5/17/21
to cp2k
Hello,

I have been attempting to calculate a few thin films between 1nm and 5nm in thickness but I often get moments during the optimization cycles where the dipole correction that I enforce aborts the calculation.

I find this incredibly odd given that the amount of vacuum to offset this error I have recently applied is 50 A.

My current compilation where I have discovered this issue is cp2k 6.1, and I have encountered this across a few materials.

Any ideas on how to solve these issues? I can provide more details upon request.

Christopher

Matt W

May 17, 2021, 11:47:39 AM5/17/21
to cp2k
Only comment is to always start from a converged calculation without the correction applied.

Lenard Carroll

May 17, 2021, 12:16:11 PM5/17/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Matt is correct, I have done a few dipole correction calculations and it only seems to work once you use a converged non-dipole correction structure.

cpash...@gmail.com

May 18, 2021, 2:59:58 AM5/18/21
to cp2k
Okay, thank you! I'll give it a try and post updates if it does not. Have you had any issues with particular materials - say metals vs semiconductors?

Lenard Carroll

May 18, 2021, 3:20:53 AM5/18/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
I've just done these type of computations with metals and I didn't have any issues.