SCF didn't cocnverge

ce fu

Apr 6, 2022, 6:26:43 AM4/6/22
to cp2k

Dear CP2K All,

      Recently, I used CP2K to calculating a alloy structure. I had download a .cif file from materials project, and then to added a CO molecule, it couldn’t to converge. I have tried to decrease ALPHA value from 0.4 to 0.05 and increase cutoff value, unfortunately, that seem dose not work.

       So, I need some help to fix this problem ,to be a toddler ,I hope some expert can tell me what should I do or learn . I will be very glad for any response.

Andy

Pd110.inp

Krack Matthias (PSI)

Apr 6, 2022, 6:48:27 AM4/6/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy

For metallic systems (no band gap), you need to apply “smearing” and possibly also k point sampling.

Matthias

flan...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 7:41:58 AM4/6/22
to cp2k
Hi Matthias,

I am very glad to receive your reply. Now it is running ,and to see the first SCF result.

I have a question about &MIXING and &SMEAR sections , what does ALPHA parameter and ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE mean? I want to know what  will be  controlled by this parameter?

I am sorry that the last message was replied in the wrong place.
Best regards!
Andy

Krack Matthias (PSI)

Apr 6, 2022, 12:32:40 PM4/6/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi

ALPHA is the mixing fraction of the new density with the old one from the previous iteration step, i.e. ALPHA=0.2 will mix 20% of the new with 80% of the old density.

You may try values between 600K and 2000K as ELECTRONIC_TEMPERATURE.

Matthias

flan...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2022, 10:14:49 PM4/6/22
to cp2k