Invoking B97-3C in CP2K

awer...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2022, 11:08:48 AM4/20/22
to cp2k
Dear CP2K Developers and Users,

I would like to kindly ask you about the way of using B97-3C to get close to original definition.

I use the following sections along with TZVP-MOLOPT-GTH basis set, but I am not sure if I am correct:

&XC
        &XC_FUNCTIONAL
                 &BECKE97
                    PARAMETRIZATION B97-3C
                 &END BECKE97
        &END XC_FUNCTIONAL

        &vdW_POTENTIAL
         DISPERSION_FUNCTIONAL PAIR_POTENTIAL
        &PAIR_POTENTIAL
         TYPE DFTD3(BJ)
          CALCULATE_C9_TERM .TRUE.
          REFERENCE_C9_TERM .TRUE.
          LONG_RANGE_CORRECTION .TRUE.
          PARAMETER_FILE_NAME  ./dftd3.dat
          VERBOSE_OUTPUT .TRUE.
          REFERENCE_FUNCTIONAL BECKE97
       &END PAIR_POTENTIAL
       &END vdW_POTENTIAL

Should I define DFTD3(BJ) with BECKE97 parametrization?
Should I use the pseudopotentials defined for PBE?
Am I doing anything wrong here? Could anybody comment on this, please?
Any additional tricks are needed here?

With best wishes,
Ana

Thomas Kühne

Apr 20, 2022, 5:33:10 PM4/20/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ana,

the correct usage of B97-3c within CP2K is best described in Perlt, Ray, Hansen, Malberg, Grimme & Kirchner, J. Chem. Phys. 148, 193835 (2018).
Even though not fully identical with the receipt of Grimme the following section with the standard TZVP basis set is the closest:

&FORCE EVAL

&DFT

&XC

&XC FUNCTIONAL

&BECKE97
PARAMETRIZATION B97-3c

SCALE C 1.0
SCALE X 1.0

&END BECKE97

&END XC FUNCTIONAL

&vdW POTENTIAL

DISPERSION FUNCTIONAL PAIR POTENTIAL

&PAIR POTENTIAL

TYPE DFTD3(BJ)
PARAMETER FILE NAME dftd3.dat

REFERENCE FUNCTIONAL B97-3c

R CUTOFF 7.93766
CALCULATE C9 TERM
SHORT RANGE CORRECTION

&END PAIR POTENTIAL

&END vdW POTENTIAL

&END XC

&END DFT

&END FORCE EVAL

In conjunction with the MOLOPT basis sets you are using in my group we use DZVP-MOLOPT-SR as default …

Best,
Thomas Kühne

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

awer...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2022, 1:55:50 AM4/21/22
to cp2k
Dear Thomas, Thank you so much for your invaluable help. I do confirm it does work properly. The quoted paper is brilliant. Thank you! Ana

flytomoo...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2023, 2:16:59 AM3/13/23
to cp2k
Dear Prof. Kühne,

May I ask that if your group members specially optimize the GTH pseudopotentials for the B97-D functional (for the usage of B97-3c), or directly use the existing GTH pseudopotentials optimized for other functionals (e.g., BLYP, BP, or PBE)? Thanks in advance !

Sincerely,
Li

Thomas Kühne

Mar 17, 2023, 3:43:39 PM3/17/23
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
Dear Li,

yes we are typically using the BLYP GTH pseudopotentials.

Greetings,
Thomas Kühne

Daniel Count

Dec 1, 2023, 9:35:22 PM12/1/23
to cp2k
Has the above input by Thomas K. ever been validated, e.g. for the water dimer binding energy, against the results of the reference implementation of "B97-3c" by Grimme provided in QC codes like ORCA?

Thomas Kühne

Dec 4, 2023, 4:10:10 AM12/4/23
to cp...@googlegroups.com
In the paper by Perlt, Ray, Hansen, Malberg, Grimme & Kirchner, J. Chem. Phys. 148, 193835 (2018),
the implementation of B97-3c was compared to ORCA, since one the corrections is recommended to
be used in conjunction with the mTZVP that differs from the ones employed in CP2K.
The summary of the comparison, which you will find in the SI of the aforementioned paper, reads as:

"While the mean signed deviation is similar for both basis sets (ORCA: 0.06 kcal mol1

CP2K: 0.06 kcal mol1), the mean absolute deviation is significantly larger if the

TZVP-GTH basis set in CP2K is used (ORCA: 0.28 kcal mol1, CP2K: 0.44 kcal mol1)."

Greetings, Thomas Kühne