the MD simulation of confined water and graphene

egbertchang

Apr 22, 2021, 9:25:12 AM4/22/21
to cp2k
Dear All

I am trying to Run the simultion of graphene and confined water with CP2K7.1,  however I found the bulk water density is very unstable?  Can anyone look at this input file and tell me the reason? Graph2.jpg
coordinate.xyz
ga.inp

Matt W

Apr 22, 2021, 10:42:54 AM4/22/21
to cp2k
That's what I'd expect to see from a short simulation. Try running a classical version in your favourite software. You'll need 10s of ps minimum to get sensible statistics on the water density.

egbertchang

Apr 22, 2021, 10:49:04 PM4/22/21
to cp2k
but i RUN 30PS and take tha last 10PS to  Analysis .

Thomas Kühne

Apr 23, 2021, 7:53:44 AM4/23/21
to 'Dorothea Golze' via cp2k
The qualitative trend looks reasonable. Regarding the large fluctuations I was wondering
if you are also averaging over the full length of your graphene layer and not just over a
small slice and over time. Wrt to the latter, 10 ps is a good start, but still on the lower end.

Best,
Thomas Kühne

==============================
Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry
University of Paderborn
Warburger Str. 100
D-33098 Paderborn
Germany

egbertchang

Apr 25, 2021, 8:34:27 AM4/25/21
to cp2k
however , in many researches, the authors take the same RUN time (10PS)t to  analysis , their figure is soomth and stable , IS 10PS TOO short to get the perfect curve ?

Matt W

Apr 28, 2021, 8:53:39 AM4/28/21
to cp2k
There is also the bin size when calculating the averages. Using a bigger bin will smooth the data over a larger volume (but you can lose resolution) are the results you quote using a similar averaging procedure to you?
Personally, I'd be surprised if you get nice data from 10ps, but I'm not doing this everyday anymore.