DOS, GAPW, Iron ions using EMSL_BASIS_SET

igla...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2020, 4:53:33 PM9/13/20
to cp2k

Dear CP2K users

I would like to calculate the DOS for Iron ions in aqueous solutions of different salts. Since I am interested in both core and band levels, I am planning to do an all-electron (energy) calculation at PBE0-D3 level from different snapshots taken from an MD trajectory using GAPW approach exploiting EMSL_BASIS_SET

I gave a look at the EMSL_BASIS_SET file and I saw many possible choices for Iron. I counted 11 of them. Ahlrichs-def2-QZVP, 6-31G*, 6-31G**, Ahlrichs-VDZ, Ahlrichs-VTZ, Ahlrichs-pVDZ, Ahlrichs-TZV, Ahlrichs-pTZV, Roos-ADZ-ANO, Roos-ATZ-ANO, NASA-Ames-cc-pVTZ

I tried a couple of them: for example, with 6-31G** I was able to converge the SCF cycle, with Ahlrichs-def2-QZVP no.

I would like to ask you if you have any advice based on your experience for a reasonable basis set choice to start (the one above or even others). I look in the literature: I am familiar with some of the basis set listed above, others are new for me.

Thank you very much for any possible advice

Best

Ivan

Marcella Iannuzzi

Sep 14, 2020, 4:39:23 AM9/14/20
to cp2k

Dear Ivan

The basis sets that you mentioned are typically generated for molecular systems and are not optimal for condensed matter.
In general less diffuse BS are more stable. Search for BS that are optimised for DFT and combined with auxiliary BS if you use hybrid functionals.

Regards
Marcella

Ivan Gladich

Sep 14, 2020, 4:07:33 PM9/14/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Marcella

thank you for your email and for the paper that you pointed me out.
I looked in the Basi Set Exchange Library from EMSL and I think I have found the basis set mentioned in that paper (and even more choices).
I will test some of them

Thank you again
Best

Ivan