How to choose orbital transformation (OT) method and geometry optimizer.

HB H

Oct 3, 2020, 10:33:46 PM10/3/20
to cp2k
Dear users,

I noticed that in FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/OT/ section, the "MINIMIZER" can be for examples,  CG and DIIS.  So the question is if I chose CG during geometry optimization, should I also use CG optimizer in the "MOTION/GEO_OPT" section? Is there any consistence between CG in "FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/OT/" and "MOTION/GEO_OPT" section?

Thanks!
Haibei

Marcella Iannuzzi

Oct 4, 2020, 3:07:36 AM10/4/20
to cp2k
Dear Haibei

The two minimizers are not related.
For GEO_OPT you can use any available method irrespective of the chosen SCF method.
Kind regards
Marcella

Sun Peng

Oct 4, 2020, 3:46:19 AM10/4/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I think the "CG"s in  "FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/OT/" and "MOTION/GEO_OPT" are two different concepts. We should know one GEO_OPT step contains lots of SCF steps, that means they are just methods with same name but with different functions in different calculation processes.
I hope this explanation is clear to you. Good luck.
Penson

祝您天天开心如意!
孙鹏 博士
暨南大学 物理学系
广东省广州市天河区黄埔大道西601号  510632

Your sincerely
Peng Sun, Ph.D.
DEPT OF PHYSICS, JINAN UNIVERSITY, CHINA
ADD: 601 HUANGPU AVE W, GUANGZHOU 510632, CHINA
PHONE:  +86-15913131189

HB H

Oct 4, 2020, 8:00:49 PM10/4/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Marcella and  孙鹏,

Thanks for your reply and have a nice day!

Cheers,
Haibei

Sun Peng <sp05...@gmail.com> 于2020年10月4日周日 下午3:46写道: