Convergence with CUTOFF

coko312

Jan 27, 2020, 3:02:14 AM1/27/20
to cp2k
Dear all,

I am a cp2k-DFT beginner so the answer to this question may seem obvious to you, but it would help me a lot!

I try to converge the total energy of a single Na+ ion as a function of the energy CUTOFF, but the convergence is very slow and even using 900 Ry is not fully satisfactory for what I want to do. Even with no experience with this system, I would not expect the computation to last several hours on a single processor for only 1 atom. I have attached my input-output files. What should I modify to be able to use a more reasonable CUTOFF?

NB : the computation is non-periodic because I would like, next, to add more atoms around to compute interaction energies between these little "clusters" and various types of molecules.

Best,
LTA4A.inp
LTA4A.out
Message has been deleted

Augustin Bussy

Jan 27, 2020, 4:15:32 AM1/27/20
to cp2k
Additionally, I would suggest that you tighten the EPS_SCF threshold (to 1.E-7 or 1.E-8). Even using a really high CUTOFF, you might not observe converged results if the SCF cycle itself is not fully converged.

Best,
Augustin

On Monday, 27 January 2020 09:54:34 UTC+1, Travis wrote:
Hi,

Vacuum is expensive with plane wave methods. Your box only needs to be large enough that the density goes to zero at the boundaries (6-10 Angstroms) with the wavelet solver. You'll see a warning about non-zero density if you don't use a large enough box. The rule of thumb for the cutoff is to multiply the largest exponent in the basis by REL_CUTOFF. For your basis set and REL_CUTOFF, that's about 1500 Ry. This puts the tightest orbital on the finest grid.

-T

coko312

Feb 8, 2020, 9:20:35 AM2/8/20
to cp2k
Thank you very much both of you for these answers!

Indeed I can reduce the size of my box to 10 Angstroms ; for one Na+ ion and a CO2 molecule, I need to use 12 Angstroms. So I am confident now that nothing is crazy with my simulation, but I guess I need a little more computing power and parallel simulations.

For a single Na+ ion, it works also very well with lower EPS_SCF (1.E-8). However, with this EPS_SCF I have some difficulties in making the SCF cycle converge with one Na+ ion and a CO2 molecule. I suspect it is due to the initial position of my CO2 molecule. What would you use as a reasonable distance/orientation, and how many iterations of the geometry optimization procedure would you expect (50, 100, 500 ... )?

Augustin Bussy

Feb 10, 2020, 3:52:16 AM2/10/20
to cp...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

you can run a first geometry optimization run with a lower EPS_SCF so that it converges faster to an approximate solution. Once you are there you can restart with a tighter threshold. As for the initial position of the molecules, I am not familiar with your system myself, I am afraid.

Best,

Augustin

Augustin Bussy
PhD Student