Fwd: Encouraging Respect of Speed Limit (25 mph) on Crystal Lake Drive

Andy Gray

Jul 9, 2021, 11:37:13 PM7/9/21
to Corvallis Vision Zero

Hi folks,
I wanted to share Dylan Horne's suggestion of streets/roads with one car lane and 2 bike/ped lanes. Could be a great solution for the south end of Crystal Lake Drive and other streets in town and the county.

Jul 10, 2021, 3:39:05 AM7/10/21
to Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Hi bike safety/sustainable transportation folks,

I rode from Avery Park to the Block 15 Tap Room this afternoon, and found the bike lane on SE 3rd Street blocked off in a number of places due to construction on the sidewalks and roadway.

That's to be expected from time to time.  What I found strange was that I didn't see any "Bikes on Roadway" signs like I remember seeing in the past.  Instead, there were signs that said "Abrupt Edge Ahead" or something like that.  Given that the entire bike lane and sidewalk was then blocked off by traffic cones and construction, forcing bikes to take the main auto lanes, it seemed odd to me that no warning was being given to cars to expect bikers in "their" lanes.

Does anyone know if this is the "new normal" for signage, or if it's an oversight, or what?  It doesn't seem like a very safe way to do things.  Also, if I just missed some existing "Bikes in Roadway" signs, please let me know.  It's possible, but since I experienced the same issue going south *and* north, and only noticed the "Abrupt Edge" signs, I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks,
Dave Hockman-Wert

cryp...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2021, 4:21:17 PM7/10/21
to Dave Hockman-Wert, David Rabinowitz, Corvallis Vision Zero

Hi, everyone—

As far as I know, the City of Corvallis still has the policy of putting “Bikes on Roadway” signs out during construction projects. I see them around town often. But the South Third Street project is an ODOT project, and I don’t know if ODOT has such a policy. The City of Corvallis Public Works Transportation Department might be able to intervene with ODOT to get signs up. We can leave messages on their website. I’ll do that right now!

Stay safe out there!

Susan Christie

From: 'Dave Hockman-Wert' via Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition <sustainable-

I agree that it's annoying/ironic/counter-productive for those signs to be taking up the bike lane (and Jay T wrote to me saying they're not supposed to put them there), but all in all I'd rather have them be there -- and very visible for car drivers (and bikers) so as to prepare for the upcoming full closure -- than not.  I fear a stencil on the ground wouldn't be noticed and therefore not of much use.

Dave

On Saturday, July 10, 2021, 6:40:08 AM PDT, David Rabinowitz <da...@freeshell.org> wrote:

Hi,

I often find that these "Bikes on Roadway" signs are placed in the middle of the
bike lane, forcing bikes into the street even before construction starts.  Perhaps a
temporary stencil on the road would be a safer warning.  If someone could make one
it could be used in a test.

Dave

Annette Mills

Jul 10, 2021, 4:21:21 PM7/10/21
to Dave Hockman-Wert, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation, James.F...@odot.state.or.us, corvallis...@googlegroups.com

Dave, thank you for contacting us.

I’d like to loop in James Feldmann, who works for ODOT and whose work focuses on South Corvallis.

James, please respond to Dave’s concerns, and let us know what is planned for this and future bike lane closures.

Thanks,

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

--
Share information about building a Vision Zero community in Corvallis. Encouragement, education, enforcement, engineering, advocacy, infrastructure needs, etc. Events and meetings to continue the conversation. Associated calendar of events as a clearinghouse for bike culture in Corvallis.
---

Dave Hockman-Wert

Jul 10, 2021, 4:21:25 PM7/10/21
to David Rabinowitz, Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
[...]

——————

Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis is a hub in a regional transportation system that includes sustainable transportation modes for people and goods.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/transportation/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Transportation Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sustainable-corvallis-transportation/bf7787ff875dba1b502bebfd6973e189.squirrel%40mx.sdf.org.

David Rabinowitz

Jul 10, 2021, 4:21:29 PM7/10/21
to Dave Hockman-Wert, Corvallis Vision Zero, Sustainable-corvallis-transportation
Hi,

Wendy Byrne

Jul 10, 2021, 6:01:48 PM7/10/21
to cryp...@gmail.com, Corvallis Vision Zero, Dave Hockman-Wert, David Rabinowitz
While the City and perhaps even the state/ODOT might have a policy about what signs to use and where to place the signs, each project is farmed out to a contractor and each contracting construction company is then the party responsible for following the rules. This lack of consistency in who is doing the work is one of the main reasons that the rules are followed so haphazardly, if at all. The main person in charge of safety training for each construction company might know the rules but on any given day the employee that puts out the sign might know... what? And then there is "who?" to come check that the codes are being followed??? If you notice a problem, the VERY BEST thing to do is to act on it yourself by either moving the sign to the correct place or by calling someone in charge and reporting your concerns to them. Good luck figuring out what number to call. I usually call City of Corvallis Public Works (IF the project is within City Limits)....... even if the work is NOT being done by our Public Works folks, they will know who is doing the work.

If we do not report the problems, no one can track them or make efforts to fix them.

--
Share information about building a Vision Zero community in Corvallis. Encouragement, education, enforcement, engineering, advocacy, infrastructure needs, etc. Events and meetings to continue the conversation. Associated calendar of events as a clearinghouse for bike culture in Corvallis.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Corvallis Vision Zero" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/corvallisvisionzero/002301d775c7%24547f4e90%24fd7debb0%24%40gmail.com.

Andy Gray

Dave Hockman-Wert

Jul 12, 2021, 2:25:19 PM7/12/21
to corvallis...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the correction, Andy.  Since I turned south from Avery Dr, I would have missed that one.  I'm surprised that I also missed the one on the south end, which must have been placed south of SW McKenzie Ave (Willamette Graystone).  Glad that they are warning drivers well ahead of the closures.

Dave