Transition time

Deepa

Jun 16, 2022, 10:08:14 AM6/16/22
to COPASI User Forum

Dear All,

Could someone please help me with interpreting the transition times
reported in the results of the steady-state analysis?

I get the following values for my model, but not sure how to interpret these values.

Untitled.png

Thanks a lot for your kind attention,
Deepa

Mendes,Pedro

Jun 16, 2022, 10:52:33 AM6/16/22
to copasi-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deepa,

the transition times are metrics that reflect how fast each of the
variables is turning over in the steady state.

the definition is that it is the concentration of the species divided by
the flux that crosses it (ie the sum of all positive fluxes, or
alternatively the absolute value of the sum of all negative fluxes).
This has units of time.

large transition times mean that the corresponding species changes
slowly (so it will react slowly to perturbations)

small transition times mean that the corresponding species changes fast
(so it will react quickly to perturbations)

After a perturbation you should expect the species with the smallest
transtion times to be the first approaching a steady state, and the ones
that have the largest to be the last to approach the steady state.

In your results, NAD and d-glucose are the slowest of the species,
while phosphoenol and 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate 2,6-bisphosphate are the
fastest species.

Pedro

--
Pedro Mendes, PhD
Professor and Director

Deepa

Jun 16, 2022, 1:34:13 PM6/16/22
to copasi-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prof.,

Thank you so much for the explanation.

Would it be wrong to have a transition time in hours ( i.e for NAD  and d-glucose ) in a model?
The component associated with time is the Vmax values (mM/min). Can we associate the
large transition times to the Vmax's?

Also while running the parameter estimation task using steady-state data, the simulation runs for hours.
I'm not sure if the large transition time could be a problem.

Thanks a lot,
Deepa

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/copasi-user-forum/fe8d00ce-be5c-ce4d-b2c2-dd8ab6957fc2%40uchc.edu.