3D Printing Hospital Equipment

Secretary CCHS

Apr 12, 2020, 11:44:14 PM4/12/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

I have been approached by a Doctor at the Royal Children's Hospital for help in producing personal protective equipment using 3D printers.

This is through 3D One.

The process involves:

1. Filling out this form re: your type of printer/s, materials & amount available

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBcMudDHhrzAICYs3Ji5pmiFSUuuSyPApoaleSs3hp_uC8Jg/viewform?usp=sf_link

2. 3D One then send you what to print (ie what is most urgently required from your particular printer/s such as Face Shield parts or Ventilator parts). The Face Shield is TGA approved, SLS & MJF are good for the Face Shields and these are the most urgent print file that hospitals are requesting, which is suitable for FDM: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4251480

3. We then mail the printed items to 3D One (they are in the process of establishing assembly locations in each State).

4. 3D One then do their quality-assessment (they take full legal responsibility for all items) --> assembly (ie the Face Shield head part is what we print, and they then assemble it to the face shield) --> sterilise --> distribution

Ps in terms of the reimbursement, 3D One are invoicing the hospitals $5 per unit assembled, sterilised and packaged, and passing 3x material cost ($1.50 for the Face Shield) per unit back to all 3D printer operators to cover materials, print costs and postage.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-03/callout-for-3d-printers-to-help-create-medical-supplies/12115074

--

Adric
Secretary Connected Community Hackerspace.

John McNamara

Apr 13, 2020, 11:21:42 AM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have been thinking on designing a face shield and believe that a laser cutter alone may be a better solution due to the greatly increased speed of production.

I know that ABS is a not suitable for laser cutting due to the fumes produced. Is there a flexible 1.6mm approx firm but flexible plastic sheet available that would be a good substitute? The clear face shield plastic also needs to be sourced. One way to cut this would be using a waterjet. cutter. Using a waterjet you can stack parts say 50mm high that's about 60 sheets of 0.8mm plastic at a time the cost per part will be low. There is normally a sacrificial sheet top and bottom as well.

Any thoughts welcome

Regards
John

John McNamara
21 Yarra Grove
Hawthorn 3122

98181265
0419 383 204

Tim Krins

Apr 13, 2020, 3:31:15 PM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hello hello,

I saw a post somewhere somehow by a Melbourne manufacturer that usually make fish finder visors that they switched to producing face shields ( https://www.berleypro.com/product/face-shield/ )
They have been producing visors from a thick piece of foam and the plastic sheet (foam instead of 3d printed plastic).
I wonder what the pros and cons of using adhesive foam would be versus printed PLA (because it sure seems like it would be much quicker)

Tim

--
Tim K
Jersey, CI

Rob B

Apr 13, 2020, 6:09:40 PM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Waterjets dont work with stacked products, as the extreme pressure gets between the layers and disburbs the stack. A better solution maybe to stamp out with a press, cheaper and faster. The major problem I keep hearing from those making Covid stuff is sourcing the material. Most seems to come from China!
For what is it worth from a toolmaking background.
Regards Rob B

John McNamara

Apr 13, 2020, 6:27:50 PM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I beg to differ, See the search link below.

Cutting thin plastic may require a sacrificial sheet top and bottom. Maybe Chipboard? Anyway it can be done.

John McNamara

Apr 13, 2020, 6:30:06 PM4/13/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Wallin

Apr 18, 2020, 11:48:05 PM4/18/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I am starting to run low on isopropyl alcohol to clean my printer bed, was wondering if anyone knew where to source some. Have done bunnings, big W and office works but to no avail.

Any info would very helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

Trystan -Crenn- Jones

Apr 21, 2020, 9:16:07 AM4/21/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
I've bought from these guys before however it's become over 3 times the price I paid for my 5L bottle of 100% IPA.

Others might know other sources. btw, There are 1L bottles for $55, but honestly you're better off getting the 5L bottle.

Kind regards,
Crenn

Tim Krins

Apr 24, 2020, 3:58:06 AM4/24/20
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Rockby has 1L technical grade isopropyl alcohol for about $23 if still in stock. Not sure of percentage.