Confluent License

dwija...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 12:45:01 AM3/24/21
to Confluent Platform
Hi
Recently, I have upgraded confluent kafka cluster to 5.5.1-ce (Commit:43158bb473a722bd) and trying to start broker nodes one by one with the command  kafka-server-start. However, i am getting following error related to license.

org.apache.kafka.common.KafkaException: Failed to start license store with topic _confluent-license. A valid license must be configured using 'confluent.license' if topic is unavailable.
        at io.confluent.license.validator.ConfluentLicenseValidator.start(ConfluentLicenseValidator.java:138)
        at kafka.server.KafkaServer.startup(KafkaServer.scala:532)
        at io.confluent.support.metrics.SupportedServerStartable.startup(SupportedServerStartable.java:140)
        at io.confluent.support.metrics.SupportedKafka.main(SupportedKafka.java:66)

It looks like, i need a valid license to run a confluent kafka cluster.

Shall i have to buy a license from Confluent to run cluster of confluent kafka (community) broker/worker ?

Regards

Gwen Shapira

Mar 24, 2021, 12:50:31 AM3/24/21
to Confluent Platform
-ce indicates that you are using Confluent Enterprise, which requires a license.

Sounds like you want Confluent Community Server (-ccs) which does not require a license.

Gwen

tim mickol

Mar 24, 2021, 2:01:43 AM3/24/21
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Correct. One might think -ce suffix indicates community edition like it does in the rest of the known universe but for Confluent it does in fact indicate Confluent Enterprise aka Confluent Platform (CP)

Dwija D

Mar 24, 2021, 3:02:24 AM3/24/21
to confluent...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Many thanks for correcting me (CE and CCS ). My cluster is now up with CCS.
Regards