Issue with Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 10, 2016, 3:30:49 PM10/10/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi I discovered this product just today and from what I can tell you did an amazing job.

However I encountered a little issue.

I was trying the Camera Demo template as it was the main constraint to be able to adopt this product for our group.
The app open the camera correctly and take correctly the photo saving it in the gallery

However the application doesn't show the photo on my phone. This on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo model GT-I9301I with Android 4.4.2. The update is the last distribuited with OTA by Samsung for Italian market. (There is a newer update but was released for the spanish market and wasn't released OTA requiring manual flash with Odin or Heimdall that I didn't make)

Trying the same application on a Huawei Y560 (Android 5.1.1) showed the correct beheviour (the photo showed correctly in the application after being taken).

What way can I use to know what went wrong? Is this a know issue or there are similar know issues?

Thanks

Shai Almog

Oct 10, 2016, 10:51:59 PM10/10/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi,
thanks!

I'm not sure I follow you. Capture to gallery behavior is pretty different between devices e.g. on iOS things don't make it into the gallery and some developers want them not to appear while others do.
We tried to "normalize" this as much as reasonably possible but in this particular niche Android is as fragmented as hell (in native and in cross platform tools).

If you can provide illustrative samples (screenshots) of what's going wrong and specific Android device/OS version number we might be able to give you a better response.

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 11, 2016, 9:06:05 AM10/11/16
to CodenameOne Discussions

The first one is what the application is supposed  to do  (on an Huawei Y560 with Android 5.1.1) after taking a photo correctly.(you can see that the application sow the photo in its GUI).
The second one is the beheviour experienced on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo with android 4.4.2 (kernel 3.4.0-503464 SE enforcing). There is no photo showed in the GUI were I'm expecting it.

There is some command that I can use to debug remotely the Android application?
Thanks,
Ave Sithis

Shai Almog

Oct 11, 2016, 9:18:37 PM10/11/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
OK, I thought you were referring to the native device gallery and misunderstood you.

That isn't our camera demo from the gallery https://www.codenameone.com/demos.html
How are you capturing the image?

Notice that if an image exceeds a certain size in pixels some Android devices won't be able to show it "as is" which sometimes means a phone with a high res camera can't instantly show its captured images and needs to shrink them first.

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 12, 2016, 2:55:53 AM10/12/16
to CodenameOne Discussions

I used the CameraDemo App generated from the Codename One Intellij-Idea Plugin version 3.5.5.

I will try the provided apk to see if there is something different.

Samsung Galaxy S3 NEo has a lower resolution camera then the Huawei Y560. However the Huwei has a bit bigger screen.

It's possible is an API incompatibility with the oldre Android Version?

Shai Almog

Oct 12, 2016, 9:38:29 PM10/12/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
That's odd since the camera demo should have two buttons on the top not one at the bottom.
It's unlikely there is a compatibility issue with an older device as we still support 2.x devices...

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 13, 2016, 4:34:00 PM10/13/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Seems that The IntelliJ Idea plugins geenrate a different version of the CameraDemo app. However also trying the apk from the codename site I'm getting this issue.

May it be an issue with the default Samsung Camera software version that shipped in this phone?
Considering that the phone was partially screwed with the last official update by Samsung it will probably not impress me (also looking what is happening with their last phone model). The entire modem partition was corrupted by that update.

Shai Almog

Oct 13, 2016, 11:27:32 PM10/13/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Ugh, it looks like the build script copied the old camera demo, thanks for the catch!

Can you connect the device with a cable and launch the Android SDK DDMS tool. When the error occurs can you grab the logs and see if there is anything interesting for us in there?

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 14, 2016, 8:13:06 AM10/14/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
I'm getting a
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /sys/class/mdnie/mdnie/scenario: open failed  ENOENT (no such file or directory)
more stack trace
caused by libcore.io.ErrnoException : Open failed ENOENT (no such file or directory)
more trace.

Shai Almog

Oct 14, 2016, 10:35:10 PM10/14/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Can you provide more of the logs, this doesn't give me enough context.

Thanks.

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 15, 2016, 6:42:55 AM10/15/16

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 4:35:10 AM UTC+2, Shai Almog wrote:
Can you provide more of the logs, this doesn't give me enough context.

Thanks.
I will try but I'm unable to copy the log, and they tend to disappear after 10 seconds.

Shai Almog

Oct 15, 2016, 10:39:40 PM10/15/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Do you have a filter on ddms (something typed in the title area). If you use the Android SDK DDMS utility you should see too much output not too little.

Lorenzo Sheogorath

Oct 17, 2016, 7:45:56 AM10/17/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
I have  a filter setted. But when I use the filter the log just disappear after 5-10 seconds. This basically prevent me on copying the log.
Do you know another utility to do this job?

Shai Almog

Oct 17, 2016, 10:28:16 PM10/17/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
You should unset the filter and see the full log which will allow you to copy anything.