Android flash when you hit enter on keyboard (and other things)

Gareth Murfin

Jun 16, 2016, 7:47:10 AM6/16/16
to CodenameOne Discussions

Client has found a few small graphical issues on Android build:

1- If I have a screen with a textfield, and tap that and the keyboard comes up, once I am done typing if I hit the arrow on the keyboard (to close it) I see a flash of the bottom of the screen (below keyboard) flashing briefly in the area above the keyboard, before the keyboard vanishes. This is pretty off putting. It appears to me as you hit tick the whole screen resizes to fit into available space for about 2ms, then goes back to normal. I dont think I had really noticed this in the last year, so not sure if its new?

2- probably no way to help with but on their test phone when the keyboard comes up, there is not enter key on bottom right (but instead a button to bring up smileys!) This ONLY happens on one screen.. strangely, that screen has 2 textfields for first and second name - it appears as though the usual "next" button is the emoticon button in this case

3 - password dots are HUGE on their phone (which is a "wileyfox" btw) but they seem ok on my phones

Shai Almog

Jun 16, 2016, 11:53:37 PM6/16/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
1. If you can reproduce this as a test case please file an issue.

2. There is a way to customize the submit buttons: https://www.codenameone.com/blog/keyboard-keys-android-pipeline.html
Try using the go button option.

3. By huge do you mean exceed the boundaries of the text field?
Do you have a screenshot?

Gareth Murfin

Jun 17, 2016, 7:07:42 AM6/17/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
1 - sent you test case, will file the issue

2 - thanks will check it

Shai Almog

Jun 18, 2016, 2:27:39 AM6/18/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
3. Is that while typing or after the typing is done and focus moved to a different field?
Do those differ?

Gareth Murfin

Jun 21, 2016, 11:35:16 AM6/21/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi I tried the go button:

        tfSurname.putClientProperty("goButton", Boolean.TRUE); //force it to be an enter key on some phones where it was emoji on the wileyFox

it changed the icon into a tick but tapping the tick seemed to have no response.

Shai Almog

Jun 22, 2016, 12:33:01 AM6/22/16
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi,
this seems to be an Android bug: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7321569/android-ime-actiongo-doesnt-work-on-certain-devices
We might want to switch to action DONE in our implementation. I'll deffer this to Chen who is a better Android authority on this...