MacInCloud / Amazon EC2 Mac Instances

P5music

Feb 18, 2021, 3:09:52 PM2/18/21
to CodenameOne Discussions

In this thread
https://groups.google.com/g/codenameone-discussions/c/e9bir616Dr0/m/fZYMZgHhBAAJ
you adviced to use the MacInCloud service.
I tried it, also to be able to use the iOS simulator. Then I immediately cancelled.

According to one unsatisfied user on Trustpilot the message "waiting for session" means that you believe not being logged in, but you will, at certain point, and then there is no way to log out if you do not know or do not connect.
Maybe you waited for the session (too busy resources I think) but then you gave up, and now you are sleeping in bed and the counter goes on, or you are busy doing something else.
They created such a complex system but do not care checking if you are disconnected and they do not end the session automatically. You have to, otherwise you are charged up to the unlimited plan.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I experience that too, so I cancelled, I was very lucky to do so before being charged.

Do you know something about the Amazon service of mac instances, instead?
Thanks in advance
Regards

Shai Almog

Feb 18, 2021, 11:51:35 PM2/18/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
I haven't used that service in years so I can't tell if it's good/bad or anything. As far as I know there are plenty of similar services for app uploads.

You can't install a ready made IPA on the iOS simulator since it isn't an emulator. You would need to rebuild the project on xcode in a mac to run on the simulator and that takes time.

P5music

Feb 19, 2021, 5:39:50 AM2/19/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
So it was good to cancel, because it would not be useful to test the iOS build.
What are those app-upload services? Do you  mean OSX similar cloud services? or another kind of service, just to upload the iOS package?

Shai Almog

Feb 20, 2021, 1:32:11 AM2/20/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
Someone wrote here in the past about a service like that and there are other competitors that offer mac hosting. I didn't keep up with that so I can't point you at anyone in particular.

Eric Dodji Gbofu

Feb 21, 2021, 4:05:27 AM2/21/21
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Here is the app upload service that i use and it works very well: https://www.wenz.io/ApplicationLoader

Regards

P5music

Feb 21, 2021, 5:32:34 AM2/21/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hello, thank you.
I am not so happy to give my developer password to them, but I think I could just change the password immediately after the upload.

I am just asking out of curiosity (I do not know whether I will use such a service or not):
is it possible to check that the original file and the uploaded file are the same?
I mean, they could put something inside the package. I am not saying that they are fraud, it is just in principle.
So is the uploaded package, downloadable back from the Apple Developer site to perform a checksum?
Thanks in advance

Eric Dodji Gbofu

Feb 21, 2021, 6:44:42 AM2/21/21
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You don't need yo use your developer password. You have a create a password just for this app in Apple settings. I forgot the URL that you will use to do that. Once created, use this password and your developer account email to connect to wenz. They don't need your developer account password to login.

For your question, i don't have the answer. The only thing that i can tell you is this service works well. I used it to put many apps on app store without any problem using my Windows machine.

Regards

Shai Almog

Feb 21, 2021, 9:31:17 PM2/21/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
iOS apps are signed by our build servers using your certificates. As such if someone would change them they would become invalid. Since you don't provide them with a certificate Apple won't accept the broken apps.

Dave Dyer

Feb 22, 2021, 12:19:23 AM2/22/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
It is possible to run a mac os under virtualbox on windows.  Its a bit arcane, but you can find instruction on the web.

Shai Almog

Feb 22, 2021, 10:02:50 PM2/22/21
to CodenameOne Discussions
Notice that this is prohibited under Apples license terms.