Around West Arapahoe

Jared Del Rosso

Oct 28, 2018, 6:19:40 PM10/28/18
to Colorado Birds
I spent the morning and early afternoon around west Arapahoe. Highlights today (10/28) include:
  • at Blackmer Lake: a rather later Western Tanager. Swamp Sparrow. At least one, possibly two, striking, very dark Red-tails.
  • in Littleton, a flock of 45 or so Sandhill Cranes, catching a thermal around Broadway & Littleton Blvd.
  • my first Merlin of the year, at the Rollin D. Barnard Equestrian Park in Greenwood Village. As the local raptors typically do, the Merlin was perched along the enormous transmission towers. I got to see it (apparently) flush north when a Red-tailed Hawk came through, then u-turn and head south to pursue a flock of waxwings already in flight.
- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO