Interesting Nor. Flicker nest site, Littleton JeffCo

David Suddjian

May 28, 2020, 9:59:43 PM5/28/20
to Colorado Birds
This afternoon Karen Strong and I observed an interesting nest location for Northern Flicker. Well, technically it is only a probable nest site by Breeding Bird Atlas standards, as we observed birds in the cavity and then copulating near the cavity (probable codes N and C in BBA terms). But clearly the birds are interested.

This was in a drain hole located near the top of the Kohl's store facade in the shopping center at the far south end of Kipling Pkwy near C470. A photo below shows the building facade with a "fake" guard tower-like decorative element and what I think are drain holes located near the roof line to the right of that. One shows the female sticking her head out.

We heard the male calling from a perch on a cable within the "guard tower" and then saw him fly to and enter a drain hole. Then the female came to the hole, he left and she entered. He flew to a small nearby parking lot tree for a minute or two. Then she flew out and went to the "guard tower" and he flew over and landed near her. They then copulated there and she flew off out of view while he remained in the "guard tower". The circular cement/plaster drain hole had been modified and somewhat enlarged.

So we did not confirm nesting there just yet, but that hole was plainly of interest and they copulated right nearby. Future observations may confirm things. I know flickers nest in holes in buildings (like houses, often wooden structures), but I've never seen an apparent nest on a large shopping center building overlooking a large parking lot.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

IMG_2383.jpg
IMG_2385.jpg

David Wade

May 29, 2020, 3:13:09 PM5/29/20
to Colorado Birds

David, I'm guessing the Flickers hammered out those holes themselves. That architectural detail seen in the lower photo is mostly for aesthetics. Think of it as molding for the building. If it were a drain, it would be at the lowest point possible to drain away water and there would be a spout or tube to direct water away from the building. I'm speculating here but I imagine the male was looking for a good drumming site and he realized there was a good hollow spot to locate a nest cavity in. Pretty tough bird to hammer through mortar, they have my respect.

Let's hope the buildings' maintenance team waits until the Flickers are gone before patching the holes. I know the Migratory Bird Treaty would have protected them in the past but I'm not sure where that stands now - one more reason to vote for different leadership.

David Wade
Ft Collins, CO

John Malenich

May 29, 2020, 3:29:26 PM5/29/20
to Colorado Birds
A few springs ago, we noticed flickers using a hole in a similar kind of facade molding near the roof of a restaurant building in downtown Boulder.  In that situation, based on the fairly rough appearance of the hole opening and a location that would not be in the right spot to be any kind of drain, it seemed like the flickers had excavated it themselves and from our subsequent observations they appeared to nest there.  The molding seemed to be of a fairly soft plaster/stucco-like material that likely allowed them to excavate it.  The building maintenance did not patch the whole for at least another year, but there was no sign of nesting in the hole that we observed the following spring.

John Malenich
Boulder, CO

Gregg Goodrich

May 29, 2020, 4:46:07 PM5/29/20
to Colorado Birds
David, In Brighton behind the jail the flickers would drill holes in the stucco walls for a nest cavity. Maintenance would patch them up every year or two, but the flickers would drill new ones. Strong bills.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch

David Suddjian

May 29, 2020, 6:05:57 PM5/29/20
to Colorado Birds
Yes, you all are correct, they are not drain holes as I stated but were (presumably) created by the flickers.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO