Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Chatfield Banding Station, 5/14/24

meredith

May 15, 2024, 9:41:05 PMMay 15
to Colorado Birds
We had the busiest day of our very slow season today, driven by a big influx of summer residents - birds that migrated south for the winter and have returned to Chatfield to breed - led by Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats and Gray Catbirds.  A total of 49 new captures:

Hammond's Flycatcher 1 FOS
Dusky Flycatcher 2
House Wren 3
Swainson's Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 7 new, 2 returns (1 banded in 2021, 1 in 2023)
Yellow Warbler 11 new, 4 returns (1 banded in 2021, 3 in 2022)
Northern Waterthrush 1 FOS
Common Yellowthroat 8 new, 1 return (banded 2023)
Yellow-breasted Chat 1 return (banded 2023)
Green-tailed Towhee 1
Song Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 3

We are banding Tuesday through Sunday (closed Mondays) through May 31, weather permitting.  You can register to visit on the weekends through the Denver Audubon website.  (Some times/days are sold out, so sign up now if you are interested!)

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Chatfield Banding Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies