Lake Pueblo SP Pueblo County

Dan Stringer

Apr 28, 2023, 8:50:46 AM4/28/23
to Colorado Birds
Weather was warm with low wind at Lake Pueblo State Park in Pueblo County yesterday.
Interesting were more Ospreys than I've seen in one area. I counted at least nine, at one point there were three flying over the river together and a perched one calling. I saw three nests and a fourth under construction. 66 species, with the feeling of what hasn't arrived yet and is right around the corner. I saw Clark's Grebe, Solitary Sandpiper below the dam, a few peeps at Valco Ponds, Black Phoebe, Curve-billed Thrasher, Canyon Towhee, an impossibly bright Bullock's Oriole, a few flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers with one Myrtle, and a Virginia's Warbler.

At the Sailboard Launch area, I walked east to a small cove and was surprised to see a striking, breeding-plumage Common Loon from fifty feet. I've never seen a loon in Colorado in late April. When I departed, I saw it in the next small cove, having no interest in the large, open water where we typically see loons.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO