Ross' Goose at Rocky Mt. Lake Park, Denver today

Robert Canter

Jan 19, 2020, 11:38:40 PM1/19/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi Cobirders
I saw a dark phase Ross' Goose at Rocky Mountain Lake Park this afternoon. No grinning marks.It was on the south side, near the shore, with many Cackling and Canada geese. This is Denver County.
Thank you, Bob Canter, Denver

Eric Dinkel

Jan 20, 2020, 9:49:34 AM1/20/20
to Colorado Birds
Was just out this am looking for the Ross’s. Didn’t see it, but did see a hybrid. I’ll post pictures soon.
IMG_5231.jpeg

Eric Dinkel

Jan 20, 2020, 11:43:10 AM1/20/20
to Colorado Birds

rosscackling hybrid2.jpeg

rosscackling hybrid1.jpeg

Marcia Canter

Jan 20, 2020, 12:24:25 PM1/20/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi Cobirders
I say this goose again today on the grass at Rocky Mt.Lake Park, Denver. To ID it as a hybrid, a hybrid of what?
Thank you, Bob Canter, Denver

Eric Dinkel

Jan 20, 2020, 1:49:10 PM1/20/20
to Colorado Birds
I think cackling with ross given it’s small size.
A blue morph ross looks like it would have a hood and much darker body with extensive white markings on wings I think.
I searched ross/cackling hybrid on ebird and it looks very similar to the bird at the park.
Still a very rare bird and cool to see!

Robert Canter

Jan 20, 2020, 9:02:19 PM1/20/20
to Colorado Birds