Fun Bird Behavior and Interesting Insects at the CSU ELC

Caleb A

Jun 20, 2020, 4:19:34 PM6/20/20
to Colorado Birds
Hello CObirders!
I recently visited the CSU Environmental Learning Center, and a few things prompted me to make this post.
The checklist in itself wasn't very "juicy" by any birder's standards, but I observed some new behaviors I thought interesting enough to share. Common birds often surprise me; for example, I didn't know that Double-crested Cormorants yawn while sunning:

IMG_5740.JPG

One of my favorite moments of this trip was recording two female-type Common Mergansers vocalizing in the creek! I never knew Common Mergansers vocalized--but they do! Here's my recording in the Macaulay library. Out of curiosity, why were these birds vocalizing? I realize that it's breeding season, but both of these birds were female type? One of them could have been a male in eclipse plumage, but I still haven't reached any definite conclusions as to why this bird was croaking.
When I started birding last year, I was focused on only birds. However, the observation skills I've been practicing have allowed me to enjoy the diversity of animal life in all sorts of other ways. For example, dragonfly and butterfly migration seems to be happening, because there were lots of critters out in the dirt trails.
Here's a Twelve-spotted Skimmer

IMG_5764.JPG

a Variegated Meadowhawk

IMG_5794.JPG

Out of them all, however, this butterfly is the most interesting:

IMG_5808.JPG

I believe this is a Zebulon Skipper, but I can't decide between that or Taxiles Skipper. If there's any lepidopterist out there who can help me ID this guy, that would be much appreciated!

At the end of the day, birding is really a part in the scheme of an ecosystem; I hope to continue learning more about the other organisms that live and interact with the birds, and maybe down the road it will lead to more subtle discoveries.
The birds are happy, and so am I
~Caleb Alons, Larimer County

Pam Piombino

Jun 20, 2020, 4:48:35 PM6/20/20
to caleb...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Hi Caleb,

Nice photo!!  Methinks Lon taxiles.  They are confusing, but Zebulon occurs further east and there is a slight difference in the pattern on their hind wing.

Pam Piombino

Charlie Chase

Jun 21, 2020, 9:41:45 AM6/21/20
to caleb...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Hey Caleb
From a Lep friend of mine who leads Butterfly tours around the world.

Not Zabulon Skipper.  It doesn't get far enough west to Colorado and the wing is missing a spot.  Looks very good for a male Taxiles Skipper, however, which replaces Zabs in the west.

Eric

Cheers
Charlie Chase
Denver