On less Collared-Dove.....

Scott Somershoe

Feb 17, 2017, 8:53:47 PM2/17/17
to 'Hugh Kingery' via Colorado Birds
After a busy week, I came home to find an adult female Sharp-shinned Hawk in the process of killing a Eurasian Collared-Dove in my side yard. Unfortunately I accidentally spooked her and she flew. The dove was still alive but never budged. From a vantage point, I managed to confirm she came back 15 min later, made the kill (lots more feathers around and she'd moved it a little and plucked a lot), and subsequently flew off with her late afternoon snack.

Before going back to the not-yet-dead-dove, she perched in our neighbors back yard and my continuing flock of lesser goldfinches were unperturbed. I still have about 10 or so daily.

I love feeding the birds!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO

Sent from my iPhone

Ben S

Feb 18, 2017, 8:26:01 PM2/18/17
to Colorado Birds
Must have been hard for the Sharpie to kill a bird bigger than itself!
Ben Sampson
Centennial CO

Patrick O'Driscoll

Feb 19, 2017, 12:35:00 AM2/19/17
to ben...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I did not witness the kill, but I had an adult sharpie hanging around in my east-central Denver back yard around Christmas and New Year's, and it was the chief suspect that left a pile of feathers from one of the East Colfax rock pigeons that regularly frequent the ground around my feeders.

Karl Stecher Jr.

Feb 19, 2017, 3:04:33 AM2/19/17
to ben...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Not really...you should look at a museum specimen of a sharpie to see the length and cutting edge of its talons.  Killing is like sticking long spikes with into its prey.  BTW...when you look at a sharpie specimen, note why it is called sharp-shinned.

Karl Stecher
Centennial

Feb 19, 2017, 10:18:19 AM2/19/17
to Colorado Birds
A friend of mine showed me a picture of young great horned owlets on a nest, with Eurasian Collared Dove tail feathers scattered around the edge of the nest. GHO must like them as well.

pygm...@frii.com

Feb 19, 2017, 10:21:03 AM2/19/17
to ben...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I have seen many birds of prey kill things larger than themselves.
Northern Pygmy-Owls, routinely kill birds and animals larger than
themselves. I have seen Great Horned Owls kill and carry off snowshoe hares
that are much heavier than the owl and Northern Goshawks have been known to
kill full grown Turkeys.

Birds of prey are quite exciting creatures to watch hunt.
Scott Rashid
Estes Park

Scott Somershoe

Feb 19, 2017, 11:42:55 AM2/19/17
to Colorado Birds
I guess word is out about our neighborhood. An adult Cooper's hawk had another of the local collared-dove flock for breakfast in the yard yesterday.

Re: predators taking prey bigger than themselves: I saw photos of a young goshawk that killed an adult Great Black-backed Gull in NJ this winter.

Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO

Sent from my iPhone