Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Chatfield Statin, 5/28/16

meredith...@birdconservancy.org

May 28, 2016, 10:44:21 PM5/28/16
to Colorado Birds
We were back at it today, after a day off for bad weather.   Birds were out and fairly active; we banded 24, caught 1 new that was banded last year, and recaught a bunch of birds that had been banded earlier this season.  Lots of visitors, for our final Saturday at Chatfield this spring.  Here's the breakdown for the day:

Western Wood-pewee 5 (a great season for pewees!)
Least Flycatcher 1
Dusky Flycatcher 1
House Wren 1
Swainson's Thrush 3 (a last burst of migration?)
Gray Catbird 1
Yellow Warbler 6
Common Yellowthroat 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 1, banded 2015
Song Sparrow 2 (both males, in breeding condition)
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Brown-headed cowbird 1
Bullock's Oriole 1

Open tomorrow (Sunday), then closed Memorial Day, then open Tuesday through Thursday. It is almost always better to visit early in the morning. We are opening nets at 6:30, and most days will have birds back at the station by 7:15. There are school groups every weekday, arriving about 9:45. We aim to be closed by noon most days, earlier if it is very hot, very cold, or very windy.

Meredith McBurney
Bander/Biologist
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies