Little Egret - lower Latham - WCR 48 - Weld

Cathy Sheeter

Jun 18, 2014, 5:09:25 PM6/18/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Let me preface by saying I have never seen a Little Egret, but there is a it's right now photographing that appears to be one! Two extremely long head individual head feathers without normal shaggy look of Snowy Egret.

It is in the irrigation ditch off of WCR 48 near Lower Larham.

I don't have enough knowledge to 100% rule out hybrid, but I am certain it is not a Snowy.

Cathy Sheeter
Ft lupton

Cathy Sheeter

Jun 18, 2014, 5:17:01 PM6/18/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Alright I guess my excitement was premature - Steve M saw the bird this morning and said he is leaning toward hybrid or aberrant Snowy...

Cathy

The "Nunn Guy"

Jun 18, 2014, 5:28:50 PM6/18/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Cathy Sheeter

Jun 18, 2014, 5:40:54 PM6/18/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Well Steve's not 100% sure - bird shows two long individual head plumes and clean yellow feet without yellow extending up the back of the leg at all. (Both plus for Little). It shows some moderate plumes on back end, very little on the chest, and Steve feels that the bill size is more Snowy Egret like (though there are now 4 SNEG in the ditch with it right now and this bird's bill does appear slightly heavier and longer.)

I will leave it up to any individual whether they desire to come take a look at it or not. My memory card is full and I got superb shots, so nothing further I can do.

Sorry to fill up your inbox.

Cathy S.