LBHE at RM Arsenal (Not)

Bill Schreitz

Jul 23, 2022, 3:46:07 PM7/23/22
to Colorado Birds
Immature SNEG , actually. Originally I thought this bird to be immature LBHE. My observations were accurate, but not complete enough - (Pale yellow lores & bill base w/ gradual dark tip, green legs & feet, flashing wings to startle fish, about the same size as the nearby SNEG.) I have since relocated the bird and noted a few more things. The neck does not appear thicker nor the bill heavier at the base than the other SNEG's feeding nearby. The pale yellow lores were suspect. Its foraging behavior is similar to the other SNEG as is its general posture. Another photo (which I posted on eBird) that I was able to take today shows a distinct color change from green legs to yellow green feet, something I missed the day before. Also the leading edge of the legs show clear traces of black, which is something mentioned in Sibley for the juvenile SNEG. See the pic! (It was as if it knew what I came back to look for:)

Bill Schreitz

Susan Rosine

Jul 23, 2022, 5:41:05 PM7/23/22
to Bill Schreitz, Colorado Birds
Well darn, I'll have to examine my photos closely. I thought it was a LBHE, and not a SNEG.  Hopefully I got some photos of the feet. But the one I saw didn't appear to have the yellow lores that yours have in the photo. I'll know more when I put my pictures on my computer screen.
Susan Rosine
Brighton

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/eb39886b-810c-47e0-80b2-11ea6f551d47n%40googlegroups.com.

Gisellys Zarzuela

Jul 24, 2022, 4:25:05 PM7/24/22
to Colorado Birds
Hi All,

I was birding with a group from Denver Audubon yesterday morning and we think we saw a different bird than Bill's. Our bird had the gray leg color into the feet (not yellow) and did not appear to have the yellow lores like Bill's (not visible from this photo). Will report back if someone in the group has a better photo, but sharing a shoddy iPhone/Scope pic for now.

IMG_5093.jpg

Best,
Gigi
Denver County

Susan Rosine

Jul 24, 2022, 5:03:42 PM7/24/22
to Gisellys Zarzuela, Colorado Birds
That is the bird I saw as well; south Lake Ladora, yesterday. I am going through all of my photos to find the best ones. I took my sighting down until I process my photos.

Susan Rosine
Brighton