Tønnessen's next?

Ted Floyd

Dec 28, 2017, 5:52:12 PM12/28/17
to Colorado Birds
Okay, so he found Colorado's first Tropical Kingbird in September, then Colorado's first Red-breasted Sapsucker earlier this month. At this pace, he's due 3 or 4 more state firsts in 2018. Any guesses?

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County

Mark Obmascik

Dec 28, 2017, 6:06:11 PM12/28/17
to tedfl...@hotmail.com, Colorado Birds
If a Baikal teal shows up behind a Baskin Robbins in Evergreen, would it be a first Colorado record? (Picking scab off festering wound.)

Mark Obmascik
Denver CO

Ben S

Dec 28, 2017, 6:30:27 PM12/28/17
to Colorado Birds
I'm willing to bet Cactus Wren, Carolina Chickadee, Black-crested Titmouse, Common/King Eider (several inland records in midwest + Canadian plains), Barnacle Goose (1 record each in AR, TX, and NM), Heerman's Gull, Black-tailed Gull, White Wagtail, Great Gray Owl (4+ records in N. Utah), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, California Quail, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, and Brown-headed Nuthatch are in our future, whoever finds them.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO

Ira Sanders

Dec 28, 2017, 6:33:16 PM12/28/17
to ben...@gmail.com, cobirds
It should be Mute Swan.
Ira Sanders

jun...@comcast.net

Dec 28, 2017, 6:50:45 PM12/28/17
to zroadr...@gmail.com, ben...@gmail.com, cobirds
I agree with Ira.  Mute Swan shows up each year in different configurations.  However David's next bird will be an El Paso Co. animal.  Possibly Black-backed Woodpecker, Northern Hawk Owl, or Elegant Tern.  David is eager, astute and talented.  Maybe most importantly, he is humble.

Glenn Walbek
Castle Rock, CO

I'm willing to bet Cactus Wren, Carolina Chickadee, Black-crested Titmouse, Common/King Eider (several inland records in midwest + Canadian plains), Barnacle Goose (1 record each in AR, TX, and NM), Heerman's Gull, Black-tailed Gull, White Wagtail, Great Gray Owl (4+ records in N. Utah), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, California Quail, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, and Brown-headed Nuthatch are in our future, whoever finds them.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO

VicZ24

Dec 28, 2017, 6:52:15 PM12/28/17
to Colorado Birds
If he finds a Rufous-backed Buzzard (or as is presently being called Variable Hawk or Red-backed Hawk) shows up at Gunnison for seven years would it be a first Colorado record? (Also picking off a festering wound).

Vic Zerbi
Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Joe Roller

Dec 28, 2017, 7:47:35 PM12/28/17
to Colorado Birds
The topic of "what will be the next addition to the Colorado State List" has been thoughtfully
covered in at least two articles over the years in Colorado Birds (nee' Journal of the CFO).

If someone can post that article, I'm sure it would be of widespread interest. As I recall, someone
predicted the Brown Booby and others predicted Sandwich and Sooty Tern. It is fascinating reading.
Some of the most prominent predictions were Black Vulture (Yes) and Cactus Wren (not yet).

I recall that a CFO goal was to make the articles searchable on line and hope that is being worked on.
If not now, who could take the lead on this, among all of the keen CFO members? Once the articles
are completely on line, one can read what Ted Floyd is referring to, as well as the sightings of
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher with photo documentation.

Just to pique interest, Pileated Woodpecker is slowly breeding higher up the Arkansas River and has
reached the middle of Kansas by now.

Joe Roller, Denver

Ted Floyd

Dec 28, 2017, 8:38:01 PM12/28/17
to Colorado Birds
Re: Baikal Teal and Variable Hawk. Yeah, what's up with that? I'd add Rufous-collared Sparrow to the list too. (Festering wounds...) Did y'all know that there are records from the U.S. Rocky Mountains in 2017 of both Variable Hawk and Rufous-collared Sparrow? I love vagrant traps up and down the I-25 corridor as much as any of you, but I also wonder if there's a bit of anti-I-25-vagrant-trap bias at play here.

I know! Tønnessen will find Colorado's first Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush! In the mountains. Of western Boulder County. At the CFO convention in May 2018. C'mon, David, we're counting on you.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County