Early nesting Black-capped Chickadees, Loveland, Larimer Co.

Larry Griffin

Mar 24, 2017, 4:24:11 PM3/24/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com
During a visit this morning to the Guarantee Bank on the SE corner of
Lincoln Ave. and 29th St. in Loveland, we noticed a pair of Black-capped
Chickadees constantly flying back and forth to a rather obvious 2" nest
hole on the SW corner of the building. Their behavior certainly
suggested they are feeding nestlings already. The hole is about 12' up
in a stucco-like section of the wall. I suspect it may have been
excavated by a flicker attempting to create a nesting cavity. I thought
the combination of unusual location and early nesting activity made it
worth reporting.

Larry Griffin
Windsor, CO