Accipiter "Fun"/Weld

The "Nunn Guy"

Mar 30, 2020, 6:20:14 PM3/30/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

Bird just landed in our yard, outside my telework window, thought it might be fun to discuss what it might be (and why)? Feel free to post your reply to this message or respond privately.

Photos in Activity stream at http://www.friendsofthepawneegrassland.org/

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn

Caleb A

Mar 30, 2020, 8:49:27 PM3/30/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi, Gary!
Accipiters have always challenged me, but I'm pretty sure that your photographed bird is an adult Cooper's Hawk. My first impression was Cooper's, and I realized why: it shows some of that "capped" appearance and squarish head shape that makes it look a bit "bulkier" unlike the more "cute" Sharp-shinned Hawk. It's tail is rounded off, which I'm pretty sure is the mark for Cooper's as well (Sharp-shinned would be flatter, I believe). That's a very nice photo!
That's my nickel and dime at least.
The birds are happy, and so am I
~Caleb Alons

The "Nunn Guy"

Mar 31, 2020, 10:40:37 AM3/31/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

Quite a few responses for this ID challenge. ID is Cooper's Hawk for these various reasons in addition to what Caleb provided:
  • Eye further forward towards the beak on the head/profile, vs. in the middle on a Sharp-shinned Hawk
  • Eye overall smaller than the beak, vs. the same size as the beak of a Sharp-shinned Hawk
  • Cooper’s (long tail in respect to the body) — maybe a male
  • Long tail with much shorter outer tail feathers