Barr Banding Station Update, 9/28/15

meredith

Sep 28, 2015, 8:28:45 PM9/28/15
to Colorado Birds
After our rather pathetic Sunday, it was nice to return to our leisurely fall banding of last week, with 37 new birds and a great variety of species.  Star of the day was a Sage Thrasher (we caught one last year as well; the last one before that was before 2005).  Here's the breakdown of the 37 new birds:

Dusky Flycatcher 1 (Flycatchers have been in very short supply this year, and this was the first of any species in 2 weeks)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Hermit Thrush 2
Gray Catbird 1
Sage Thrasher 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Audubon's 4
Wilson's Warbler 5
Spotted Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 3
Clay-colored Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 8
Dark-eyed Junco 2

We are open 6 days per week, weather permitting, for 2 more weeks (through Sunday, October 11). This week we will be closed on Thursday, 10/1. We are opening nets at 6:30, and run until noon or whenever it gets too hot or too
windy or too whatever. School groups arrive about 9:30 a.m. most weekdays.

Meredith McBurney
Biologist/Bander
Barr Lake Banding Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies