House Sparrow decline - Front Range

Hugh Kingery

Apr 11, 2018, 7:22:04 PM4/11/18
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Twenty-one people responded to my query about House Sparrows.
Most (17) noted diminishing numbers or total absence. They live from Colorado Springs through metro Denver to Longmont and Boulder. Examples:
    None in over a year (Gloria Nikolai, Colo Spgs);
    None this year (Don Hall, Highlands Ranch);
    Only 1 or 2, compared with half a dozen in past years (Keith Hidalgo, Lakewood);
    Disappeared from our back yard completely, and rarely see them in the south Suburban area (Mary Fran O'Connor);
    Definitely fewer over the years (Jean Stevenson, Aurora);
    Big decline after the rains and flood of Sep 2013 (Todd Deininger, Longmont);
    From 1996-2015, HOSP on 30.16% of my Colo. checklists; from 2015-2018, on 13.44%  of my checklists. And in my backyard, from 1996-2015, on 58.21%checklists. So far in 2018, not a single one! (Richard Trinker, Boulder).
    On the Denver Urban CBC,
counts of 183 in 1/1/2017 and 311 in 1/1/2018 -- the lowest in its history; with an average over 30 years of 1721. They used to outnumber House Finches (also declining) but now amount to half the number of finches. Top count 2583 in 12/30/1989. The drop started 1/1/2011.

    On the other hand, Patrick O'Driscoll (east Denver) noted a drop from winter counts of 25-30 to 10-12 the past few weeks -- the dispersal for nesting noted by Nick Komar.
    And three observers say the still have lots: Rebecca Laroche in central Denver, Marsha Heron in Centennial, and Jamie Simo in Longmont.

Hugh Kingery

steve.getty

Apr 11, 2018, 10:30:27 PM4/11/18
to Colorado Birds
Very interesting topic! I apologize for late reply

At our feeder/yard (just south, adjacent to Bear Creek Park, Colorado Springs), we had occasional individuals during 5-10 years ago, but then there was never more after that. I'd have to check notes, but I don't think we've had one in past 5 years.

House Finch numbers are low, but steady. I've wondered if my sample is due to other neighbors with feeders, or broader low frequency. Cassin's Finches I wouldn't term "eruptive" per feeder, as low numbers are regular, particularly after snowfall. (smart birdies know where to go!) One female has been frequently the past week.

Best
Steve Getty