Long-Eared Owls/Wellington

Natalie P.

Nov 24, 2018, 12:54:09 PM11/24/18
to Colorado Birds
Good morning!

Does anyone have any pointers for finding the Long-Eared Owls in the Schware Unit?

Thank you!
Natalie

joe.ki...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2018, 8:20:45 PM11/28/18
to Colorado Birds
Natalie,
I think that your best bet would be to walk along that row of juniper trees that runs along the south side of CR60, just west of the parking area.
If you walk through those trees you might flush them.
Good luck!

John Shenot

Nov 28, 2018, 10:00:07 PM11/28/18
to Colorado Birds
The moderator of this list serve should delete this post immediately. People: owls are NOT to be flushed on purpose. I personally don’t think their locations should even be revealed publicly, but others don’t go that far. I hope we can agree that Advising anyone to flush an owl is crossing an ethical line.

I hope the posters will learn from this.

John Shenot
Fort Collins

John Shenot

Nov 28, 2018, 10:38:50 PM11/28/18
to Colorado Birds
For the record, I didn’t mean to chastise or embarrass the person who posted this. I meant to educate newer birders/posters on an important point about birding ethics.

I’m not perfect, I’ve done things I regret, and I still have so much to learn.

I apologize if my tone was harsh.

John Shenot
Fort Collins

Eric DeFonso

Nov 28, 2018, 11:37:24 PM11/28/18
to cob...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I did not at all interpret the earlier message as suggesting flushing. I understood that he was suggesting walking along the road and NOT among the trees precisely to avoid (or at least minimize) disturbance. But, maybe I'm wrong.

I would agree however that future requests for information on finding owls in particular locales are ideally made by asking for off-line (directly personal) responses.

-------
Eric DeFonso
Coal Creek Canyon, Jefferson County, CO (at exactly 8,000' ASL)

Sharon Kay

Nov 29, 2018, 10:58:29 AM11/29/18
to Colorado Birds
Eric, My initial reading of the post by Joe gave me the impression he was telling her to walk among the trees to flush them. I reread it and I can see why you read it differently. I went on a bird trip a couple of years ago and the leader indeed had us walk among trees to flush the owls. This was at Barr Lake. I had never heard of such a thing and could not believe people do it. I agree, keep owl talk private and please don't flush them.

joe.ki...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2018, 9:25:10 AM11/30/18
to Colorado Birds
John, I want you to know that I did not take offense to your post, and I definitely appreciate your concern for the owls. You are certainly right that we probably shouldn't give specific details about roosting locations on a public list serve like this. Thank you for reminding everybody of the ethical way to go about owling. Just for the record, I probably could have worded my post better - I don't want anyone to approach the owls closely enough to make them leave their daytime roost. Maybe it would be better just to drive along the road and view from the car, that way the owls have more privacy.