Brant, White Fronted Goose, Nice Birders and Something Else

tdf...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2017, 7:47:23 PM1/29/17
to Colorado Birds
Thanks to all who posted about the Brant in Arvada.  A first for me. Was there yesterday, same time as Luke who posted while we were there.  A bunch of great folks were there and it is so nice to meet nice people who are willing to share their expertise and love of birds.

 I did see this bird as well--can anyone help me ID?  He was on the opposite side of the parking lot where people are viewing the Brant (southeast side along the walking path) .  He is not in my Sibley's but looks like a Ross in many ways...small blue bill, blue legs..maybe a dark juvenile?

Happy Birding,
Brian

Brian Johnson

Jan 30, 2017, 3:00:15 PM1/30/17
to Colorado Birds
What you have there is a hybrid. Its likely a Ross crossed with either a small Canada morph or a Cackling Goose, I lean towards the latter with the shorter neck but I could be wrong on that part. Cool bird.
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO