Glenmere Park/Weld

The "Nunn Guy"

Jun 16, 2014, 11:18:18 AM6/16/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
After reading Steven M's earlier report of ZERO herons at Glenmere I had to "see it for myself to believe it" ... :-) ... the island did not have a single heron or egret on Sunday.  There was a City worker there and I asked if the City was doing anything on the island--he said they hadn't been on the island since two years ago (large wind storm that knocked down most trees).  He did mention a local Red Fox--would a fox swim to the island and disturb birds at top of trees?

I have an email in to the Parks Director to see if they know of anything was happening around the island (mosquito spraying, vandalism, etc) that may have disturbed the birds.  It's stunning (and sad) not to see a single bird there.

Any biologists out there have a theory as to why they would mass exodus--as they were still sitting on nest/eggs 10 days ago?

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.ning.com/
Mobile:  http://coloradobirder.ning.com/m

Cathy Sheeter

Jun 25, 2014, 2:08:24 PM6/25/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I found myself in Greeley yesterday so swung by Glenmere Park at about 3PM. No herons or egrets have returned to the island. There were 2 DC Cormorants, but overall it was pretty quite on the bird front. While city workers may not be working ON the island, they are certainly doing major work in the park. It looked like they were in the process of cutting down several large, mature trees in the park while I was there, probably no more than 400 feet away from the island. I suspect the crashing down of large trees and loud saws could certainly disturb the colony, though do not know how long they have been working there, and can not conclusively say that was the reason for the abandonment.

I did not see any signs of the Mississippi Kites that have nested near there and often been sighted at the park for the past several years either.

Cathy Sheeter
Ft. Lupton

The "Nunn Guy"

Jun 25, 2014, 4:09:05 PM6/25/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cathy

Have the kites actually nested in the Glenmere-area?

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobrider.ning.com
Mobile:  http://coloradobrider.ning.com/m