Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report, 10-8-22

Meredith McBurney

Oct 8, 2022, 8:58:00 PM10/8/22
to Colorado Birds
We could not open yesterday - cold, grey, windy - but today was lovely.  Started out pretty slow, but picked up as the sun came out and warmed things up.

Yellow-rumped Warblers and White-crowned Sparrows continued to dominate, plus we had several nice surprises, including I think our 3rd White-throated Sparrow and our 6th Rock Wren.  But the big excitement today was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a FIRST EVER for this station (which has been running since 1987).

Here's a breakdown of today's 35 new birds (33 banded today, 2 banded in prior years):

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Black-capped Chickadee 1, banded 2021
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Rock Wren 1
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler. Audubon's 12
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Myrtle 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Clay-colored Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 8
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1

If you'd like to enjoy fall birds up close and personal, please come visit!  You do need a reservation - just click here! we are offering one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekdays (closed Mondays), and 8-9, 9-10, and 10-11 on weekends.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies